We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel choices

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lodi, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
hotel choices

I know there is a topic about hotels already, but I have a specific question. I am traveling alone to LA for three days and don't know where to stay. I have been to LA before visiting (but not staying overnight), so I feel fairly confident using public transit.

I will be flying into LAX, and plan to travel all over the city, so I can't even narrow down an area I will be visiting the most. I'd like to pay no more than $200 a night, and, obviously since I am a female traveling alone, would prefer to be in a fairly populated area.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I know I didn't give much to assist with!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel choices

I think the Hollywood and Highland area is a good choice.

Let alone do you have the LA Metro Red Line Light Rail subway stop, which can take you to many other places, including transfering to other lines.

metro.net/riding_metro/…rail_map.pdf

http://www.metro.net/around/maps/

You also two private tour companies, City Sights LA and Starline which will take you to many other places.

The Orchid Suites is on the same block, and is highly rated here at TA, so very little walking, and the area is popular and is safe.

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel choices

www.hilgardhouse.com

Pleasant neighborhood near UCLA University, lots of dining and shops around, great bus service everywhere, "Flyaway Westwood" $5 airport shuttle takes you to within a few blocks of the hotel. Check the reviews here on TA.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 22:49
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,074 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel choices

If you've read our Top Questions or FAQs section on 'where to stay', you know that there are a half dozen neighborhoods that are popular with tourists. In general, all are safe, all have a 'pedestrian presence' (so you won't be walking alone) and all have hotels in your price range.

The major difference between the neighborhoods are their location with respect to the rest of the city (and the 100s of attractions in Los Angeles) and the cost of the hotels.

Again, in general, the neighborhood with the best compromise between good public transit and being fairly central in our city is Hollywood. West Hollywood (a different neighborhood that is to the west of Hollywood) is a little more central, a little prettier, a little less convenient as far as public transit and a little more expensive.

Our 'neighborhoods' section in the FAQs and TOP QUESTIONS area provides descriptions of the various neighborhoods so you can get a feel for each. As a female, you have no reason to be fearful about staying in any of these popular neighborhoods.

I would, however, try to get a handle on the attractions you'll be visiting as that will determine the best neighborhood in which to stay.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel choices

Both those answers are reasonable. Hollywood/Highland is probably the most central to the city, for seeing Hollywood itself, going to Universal Studios if that appeals, going to Downtown LA.. Westwood is good for the Westside, for museums and such at UCLA, for going to Santa Monica Beach, Venice. Westwood is not so good for going to Downtown LA, it takes a long time on the bus.

Nitpicky transit terminology point: The Red Line is actually heavy rail, since it operates the whole way in a subway with no grade crossings (crossings of streets). The Blue Line, Gold Line, and Green Line (and the soon to open Expo Line) are all light rail lines--they usually similar railcars, but the Red and Purple Line cars are different.

Lodi, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel choices

Thanks so much for the help! I have decided on the Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame. HopSkipJump, thanks for the added assurance of safety.

6. Re: hotel choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2013, 09:30