We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA for 3 nights

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
LA for 3 nights

Hi can you help my wife and i will be going to la in march we are staying in lax 1st night due to late flight do not fancy driving at night

would like to do universal next day (sat) poss sunday (is this a good idea) as well,can you suggest some where to stay poss outside la which is safe and hotels are reasonable as we would prefer not to use the car in the evening, so we can have a drink and go for a meal locally, was looking at the Agoura hills area ?please help

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA for 3 nights

Why not stay in the Hollywood area? The corner of Hollywood and Highland is a good choice. The LA Metro Red Line rail (subway) has a station there that will take you to Universal Studios and many other places.

Two popular and highly rated at TA Hotels are the Orchid Suites and the Magic Castle Hotel.

So plenty of places to eat and drink in the area, and an easy walk back to the Hotel.

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA for 3 nights

Thanks for reply we did look at these hotels, but a bit above our price range thats why we were looking outside LA where it looks like you can get a lot more for your money especially with the way our pound is !!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,788 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA for 3 nights

Agoura is extremely far from LA, and you'll spend your vacation sitting in traffic on the freeway.

LA is enormous, so do not look "outside" LA, or you're looking at up to 4 hours a day in your car just getting places. That's no fun at all.

Look in Hollywood where rates are lowest, and fit all your needs (walk to drinks and dinner, close to attractions, etc).

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,065 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA for 3 nights

I'm with Yoga. If your budget is tight, skip the car and put the money toward a hotel room in Hollywood. This is a great public transit hub (5 minute 'tube' ride to Universal City). Lots of dining and drinking options within walking distance of your hotel. Or stay in downtown L.A. -- also on the red line to Universal.

I also don't think that staying near LAX your first night is a good choice. (I hope you haven't booked this hotel yet, and if you have, that it's a refundable reservation). Here's why staying at LAX is a poor idea:

When you arrive at LAX, you'll waste a lot of time waiting for shuttles. If you plan to go straight to your LAX hotel (without picking up your car), then you'll need to wait for the hotel shuttle. At night, these shuttles can run infrequently. Once you get to the hotel, you'll be in a place with poor dining options. In the morning, unless you're really lucky, you'll need to wait for and then ride the hotel shuttle back to LAX and then wait for and ride the shuttle to the car hire lot. What a waste of time! Then, in the morning, after all of this shuttling, you'll drive across the entire city of L.A. to get to Universal.

If it were me, I'd take the Union Station Flyaway Bus to Union (rail) station in downtown L.A. (It's $7 per person). From Union Station, it's a short taxi ride ($10 or less) to dozens of hotels or, if you want, you can hop on the red line metro which runs through downtown and get off near your hotel ($1.50 per person, 5 minutes or less). Or, stay on the red line for 15 minutes more and get off in Hollywood with dozens of hotels within walking distance.

In the morning, take the red line to Universal City (25 minutes from downtown; 5 minutes from Hollywood). Exit the station, cross the street and wait for the free tram 'up the hill' to the Studios. You'll save on car hire costs as well as parking ($15 at Universal; $10 to $30 at most hotels)

You don't say what other attractions you plan to visit during your stay but perhaps, you won't need a car. If you do, maybe hiring one for a day would suffice. Tell us more about your specific plans.

And also, tell us how much you want to spend for a hotel and your precise travel dates.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 01:20
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA for 3 nights

You need to be very specific about your budget for accomodations.

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA for 3 nights

Thanks to all, unfortunatley we have already booked marriott at LAX as our flight does not get in till 8pm and the car is booked to pick up in the morning

we intend to go to LV on monday for 3 days where we have been before (10 yrs ago)

nothing booked yet ! budget for hotels approx 100 dollars per night not bothered if no pool as long as very clean and safe, after LV poss grand c

then maybe san diego then back up the coast to LA for flight home 10 days in total,much appreciate your input, as i am sure you would if visiting London.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA for 3 nights

I'd think you'd be spending more than $100 for a night at the LAX Marriott, no?

It sounds like you need a place for Saturday and Sunday night. The Hollywood Orchid Suites will probably be more than $100, but not too much more, and it's a good, simple well-located hotel with free parking. That would be a short trip to Universal, you wouldn't even need to drive.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA for 3 nights

Unfortunately, $100 is indeed a low budget for LA area hotels, especially if you consider that there is a 15+% tax on all rooms, which is on top of the stated room rate. If you are getting the LAX Marriott for a price you are happy with, I'd consider staying there for your entire stay, because a) although the location is not great, if you do have a car its workable and the location is far, far better than somewhere like Agoura for getting to the attractions and b) the LAX Marriott is a very nice hotel and nicer than anything you'll get in LA or the outskirts of LA for $100.

Otherwise, the only way to get someplace decent in LA for $100 is to use a web site like priceline.com or hotwire.com where you are committing to pay for the hotel before you know exactly which hotel it is (you only know roughly what its ammenities are and its general location), and this has the risk of leaving you with a not-great hotel in any case. You can use the forums at www.betterbidding.com to try and identify the hotel based on the description that priceline or hotwire gives you, but its not 100% accurate doing that.

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA for 3 nights

Thanks guys for replys booked Marriott $90 without parking was advised by agent to stay at LAX for 3 nights, then i looked at parking approx $28 per night also Food & drink very expensive i thought we would look elswhere but on reflection it may be the best option ,still appreciate your input thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA for 3 nights

If you do stay at Marriott LAX your first night, you could take the $5 Trolley to Manhattan Beach, a few miles south of the airport. The hotels and businesses got together to provide the 2 trolleys to guests, so they would have somewhere to go shop and dine.

The Trolley picks up every half hour and returns the same. There are many restaurants in a few block area of the MB Pier. You get your ticket at the front desk of your hotel.

gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/…