We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in L.A

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Parking in L.A

Hi,

Just wanted to know what the parking is like in L.A. I will be hiring a car and driving around but just wasn’t sure what the rules are etc?

Thanks

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in L.A

OK, Los Angeles is very large, and there really is a lot of different rules and general policies, depending in what area you are in.

Common policies. Street Parking is usually limited to a certain amount of time, sometimes free, sometimes you need to pay a meter. Most meters are now becoming pay stations, where you walk a short distance and pay for your space (numbered).

Hotels and Motels, most have a per night fee. Some offer free parking, especially if you are away from the Rural areas of the city.

Shopping Malls, most offer free parking, some do have a charge, usually if you get your parking ticket validated at one of the stores.

Tourist attractions. Most places like Museums, Theme Parks, etc. do have a parking charge. Most Beach areas have parking fees, usually administered by the state or regional park service.

Restaurants, some Higher end locations require Valet Parking for a fee and/or tip.

So basically, if you are in a dense rural area, such as Downtown LA, you will find more places that charge for parking. As you spread out, you will find more places that will offer free parking, such as for shopping and restaurants.

If you are looking for Street parking, make sure to find and read the signs, which talk about the policies for that specific block of parking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in L.A

Thank you!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in L.A

I lost a sentence, so let me repost the one paragraph that needs the additional info.

Shopping Malls, most offer free parking, some do have a charge, usually if you get your parking ticket validated at one of the stores, they will reduce or eliminate the fee.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,579 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in L.A

It's a car city and parking is plentiful. If parking on the street, read signs carefully.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,433 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in L.A

I think "Dark" meant to say: "If you're in a dense URBAN area (like downtown)", not a 'dense RURAL area'. Last I looked, there weren't any cattle or agricultural crops in downtown L.A.!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in L.A

OOPS, thanks for the correction HSJ....

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in L.A

Anytime anyone wants to take a tour of a dense rural area, I'd be glad to recommend the Mojave Desert to them. . . LOL! I've seen some piles of tumbleweeds out here that are *really* dense and even higher than six feet high! (tee hee)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in L.A

When I explored the West Hollywood area using google maps, besides the street parking, I do notice there are quite alot of gated (fenced) parking compounds. What are the general parking charges like? Are they flat fee or charged by blocks of 15-20 mins?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in L.A

Some private lots are indeed private. I.e. only for residents or tenants if next to a commercial building. If it's opened to the public, then the charges are either by set amount of time or one fee for the whole day. Unfortunately you can't see the parking rate until you pull your car right up to the gate. By that time it's too late to turn back.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in L.A

I do see quite a fair bit with "Public Parking" signages. There is usually a booth at the entrance/exit.

Parking charges at Beverly/Rodeo Drive/Santa Monica area seems much clearer as most buildings offer 1st 2-hrs free. A useful website is smgov.net/departments/…parking.aspx