We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I have enough time?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Will I have enough time?

I am flying out of LA to Melbourne on a 23.30 pm flight and can get a flight into LA from Cancun Mexico arriving 21.10 - bearing in mind I have to check in at least 1.5hrs before is 50 mins enough time to disembark, get case and book onto next flight?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,953 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I have enough time?

Give yourself 2-3 hours between flights.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I have enough time?

Note, arriving from Cancun requires you to go through the same Customs/Immigration process as from any other Foreign Country. (One exception is many Canadian Airports, as US Customs have an arrangement to process passengers prior to boarding, as it is easier, as many flights go to medium to small US airports, and placing them in the few major Canadian Airports saves money). So yes, about 2 hours, maybe more is a good average.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,228 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I have enough time?

It depends on whether your arrival flight at LAX is late or not. If it is as little as 20 minutes late and there is a long queue in immigration/customs, you could miss your connection.

What incoming flight are you looking at? I assume you are aware that the CUN-LAX leg of your trip will involve changing planes somewhere and could be anywhere between 6-1/2 hours to 15 hours long followed by a 12+ hour flight to Australia (passing through numerous time zones). Why not spend a day or 2 in L.A. and let your body 'catch up'?)

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,376 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I have enough time?

It depends on how many other planes land at the same time, when I got back from CUN in May (flew United nonstop, Delta and Virgin America also fly nonstop depending on day of week) and it took me 90 minutes to get through Customs and Immigration. Last month I flew back from Puerto Vallarta and was using wheelchair assist, but Alaska Air had 2 other planes landing about the same time and our plane's luggage was the last to be unloaded so it still took awhile.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I have enough time?

Thanks for all the updates, think I will take a different flight allowing more time.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,228 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I have enough time?

What a whacky routing. It appears as if the only time that non-stops are available for LAX-CUN is on Saturday (for United. Delta and Virgin America) and on Sundays for Virgin America only. So, the only way to fly non-stop round trip is to stay 6, 7 or 8 days. I bet that doesn't happen very often.

7. Re: Will I have enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 04:19