We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best way around!!

Dundee
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The best way around!!

Hi everyone.

I am hoping to take my wife on a trip to the USA in April and I am toying with the idea of driving between LA, Vegas and San Francisco. So if you have any advice as to which way to do it please let me know. I would also appreciate information on how long the journey will take between each point and any points of interest on the way. Do you think 12 days would be sufficient to undertake this trip.

Many thanks.

Ian

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best way around!!

If you're going to drive between the cities it usually makes the most sense to put LA in the middle and then start/end in Vegas or SF. The reason is that the route between Vegas and San Francisco takes you almost all the way back to LA anyway.

Between LA and San Francisco, there are a few options. If you use the Interstate 5 highway, you can do the drive in around 6 hours. But this is a dull route that passes mostly through empty farmland. Using highway 1 is a very scenic route that mostly hugs the California coast and passes through some very scenic areas like Monterey and Big Sur. This route takes around 10 hours or longer though, and many people will make 1-3 overnight stops along the way. You can also use a combination of highway 1 and highway 101 to shorten the journey a little bit.

The drive between LA and Vegas is done mostly on Interstate 15 and passes mostly through empty desert. For most this isn't that interesting but for those from parts of the world where they never get a chance to see desert, it can be a unique experience. This drive is around 5 or 5 1/2 hours.

If I had 12 days to do this trip, I'd spend 3-4 days in San Francisco, 2 on the road between LA and SF, 3-4 days in LA, then the rest of the time in Las Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
California
California
United States
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
2. Re: The best way around!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 06:40