We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles base

Boro
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
2 reviews
Los Angeles base

Hi everyone, we are looking at coming over from England in the near future, with the in laws, last time we came over we stayed in San Pedro and although a nice town, was a little out of it for all the touristy things, any advice on somewhere more central but still affordable.........many thanks.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,184 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Los Angeles base

A couple questions to help the experts out......

1. What kind of touristy stuff are you looking at?

2. What kind of budget?

Boro
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Los Angeles base

We are looking at beach towns, the studios, Beverley Hills, Universal, all the usual stuff, would like to rent rather than Hotel, maybe 250 dollars per night....

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: Los Angeles base

If you have a car, The Orlando Hotel on 3rd street is a great option. Without a car, I really don't know what to offer.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,653 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Los Angeles base

Your question is too broad. And, the beaches are far from Universal, so there's no way to be near both. Central would be Beverly HIlls or West Hollywood. There are some good private home choices in West Hollywood on vrbo.com in your budget.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,560 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Los Angeles base

To use vrbo.com (or craigslist.com, click on vacation rentals), you'll need to be familiar with L.A. numerous neighborhoods. You might want to take a look at the FAQs (a link at the top of the TOPIC LIST) to get acquainted. In addition, here's a more detailed map of the neighborhood names:

http://www.laalmanac.com/LA/lamap2.htm

How long will you be visiting? How many bedrooms/beds do you need?

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,612 posts
435 reviews
6. Re: Los Angeles base

VRBO is a good resource, and I'd look at Hollywood, West Hollywood and the Beverly Grove area for "central" and Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach for beach areas, but that makes a lot of the other tourists areas that much further.

Here is a VRBO example.

http://www.vrbo.com/65773

Boro
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Los Angeles base

Thanks guys, there will be 4adults and. 1kid travelling, I suppose we need to decide what we really want , beach or city, we will have a car, so no issue getting around, would be good to be somewhere with a few restaurants for an evening meal, west Hollywood or manhattan beach maybe the 2 options to consider, I,ll have a trawl through vrbo.........thanks again.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,882 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Los Angeles base

I remember your trip staying in San Pedro a year or two ago, and all the discussion, with pages of threads. I believe you got around town very easily and saw lots of sights.

If you are looking for lodging in Manhattan Beach with your in laws, besides vrbo, check out the Sea View Inn, up from the beach. They have 2 bedrooms with kitchens, and Penthouse suites for low rates, being so close to the beach. There is free parking, use of bikes and boogie boards and gorgeous views of the sunset from the balconies.

The 22 mile bike path takes you to Redondo Beach or to Venice and Santa Monica. There is a neighborhood market across the street and many shops and restaurants in walking distance.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

Boro
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Los Angeles base

CAnative.......hahaha....you remember last time, yes we had a great trip, sorry if I hogged the forum for a bit, I love to plan and get as much advice as possible before a trip and this time it will be really important as I said we are taking the in laws and this will be their only chance to get to the States, so I want it to go smoothly. I'll certainly have a look at the place you suggest.......lets put it this way, somebody asked me recently, the place I would miost like to live in the world, my answer straight away was Manhatten Beach.......and thats the truth.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,882 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Los Angeles base

"...lets put it this way, somebody asked me recently, the place I would miost like to live in the world, my answer straight away was Manhatten Beach..."

Thanks for the compliment of MB, and I feel the same way. Close to culture, sports, and an easy going life style. Great place for families as well.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you further.