We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

Singapore, null...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

Dear all,

I am a 25yo male from Singapore, going to HB for a 3 month internship on a J-1 Visa. (27th June till 3rd October)

There are plenty of apartments available via various websites but nothing much to offer on how best to make my decisions.

Personally, I require all-inclusive Wifi/Cable/Furniture, ideally located with a safe parking spot. Good locality and proximity to my work location is an important consideration too. (Between Westminister Blvd and Erdinger ave, to the right of the Naval base)

Greatly appreciate any advice on

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
426 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

It's really tough to do that online but I think you are in the right forum.

You can also try Craigs List, recycler.com and ocapartmentfinder.com. The local Newspaper is the Orange County Register and, since this is in close proximity to Long Beach, you might want to try the LA times for their classified ads, as well.

One other places is to search Real Estate Offices in Huntington Beach as many of them provide rental properties, as well. I remember when I was just starting out, I used a realtor to provide listing so, I'm sure they do that even more now (since when I did it, it was just after the last ice-age).

Doesn't your employer offer a list of potential places to live? That would seem like a nice thing to do for people coming from so far away.

Anyway, I hope that helps or that others here can make some suggestions.

Tom

Singapore, null...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I have been scouring craigslist, apartmenthunterz.com and a few others. Most come back with a 'call me, must view apartments in person' making it very difficult for them to believe I am a legit renter.

Unfortunately my employer doesn't get much overseas interns and thus less ready with these value added services.

One more major question:

I am considering staying at a hotel for the first few nights until I can personally visit these homes/realtors. Are there any pitfalls I should take not e of for such last minute decisions?

Melvin

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
426 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

Hi Melvin,

I was actually going to suggest a hotel for the first few nights so you can get a lay of the land and find something that you've seen and not count on internet photos.

I would still make contact with these people with places that look like they might fit your needs and then let them know when you arrive and that you would like to see the place. Obviously, rental units can come off and on the market pretty quickly so, it's hard to really "hold" someplace.

Anyway, I would make these inquiries about a week before you come over and when you arrive, I would reconnect with the people you've e-mailed and let them know you'd like to see the places. Hopefully you can have about 4-6 in the works.

If people really want to talk to someone, I would still ask your employer to make some inquiries or, if it's a large enough company (50+) ask if anyone might be willing to rent a room - that way, you have transport to work and a place to stay.

This, I think, would be the best option and many companies have bulletin boards where a short ad can be posted. With the current economy, you might be filling a need of someone, as well - even if it were for a short time.

Good luck with this. If I lived in the area, I would make some calls for you but I am about 20 miles away and don't know how much good I could do as I don't get to that part of HB very often.

Keep posting if you hit any walls or, if you would like, you can message me with any questions including people you've had a response from that need a local contact. I'd be happy to help in that way and meet a lot of people from Singapore here in Anaheim.

Tom

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

Melvin, if you don't hear from them in a day, if they miss your post, send a private message to the 2 Destination Experts, who know Huntington Beach well. Their names are listed on the right hand side, and you can click on them to send a message.

Hopefully they can give you information about a hotel near your internship. I am only familiar with the resorts near the ocean.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

Sorry -- I was out of town for over a week and just saw this post. I would suggest the Extended Stay America Hotel just off Bolsa Chica Rd between Westminster and Edinger. It sounds like that is where you r employer is located: extendedstayhotels.com/Reservations/…

Edited: 14 June 2012, 21:02
Singapore, null...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

Dear kind souls who have replied. Thank you very much for your advise. After burning many hours on the internet and literally emailing more than 50 leads on craigslist, I have managed to establish a few appointments for when I arrive.

LSCats, sir, based on internet reviews Extended Stay America Hotel has gone down the sewers over the years in terms of service and quality. As such I did not consider that.

CAnative, ihave2dogs has been messaging me privately since the first post and he/she has provided me invaluable advise as well. Like how early June is when boatloads of Irish arrive and competition for room shares is the keenest.

Now that I am more aware of some of the challenges of accommodation hunting in HB, I would like to ask you residents on a separate issue - Car.

Since my stay has been extended to 6 months, I believe buying > renting at this point. Herein lies the question. To buy from dealer, or private? What kind of cars have a good 'flip' value so that I do not lose too much on the resale transaction?

All answers appreciated, cheers!

Melvin

7. Re: J-1 / Professional Training at HB - Accommodation options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:42