We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indoor Activity?

Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Indoor Activity?

Hi! I am visiting Huntington Beach with my husband and our 22 month-old son this weekend (Thursday-Sunday). While we plan to spend most of our time outdoors, the weather forecast continues to drop in temperature...especially on Sunday.

Can anyone suggest a fun indoor activity for us? I am looking into the Aquarium of the Pacific. (We can actually get free admission with a reciprocal membership.) I'm just curious if that's our best bet or if there is something else that I'm missing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indoor Activity?

Yes, go to the Aquarium of the Pacific!!

Easy drive up the coast....

Here are some photo albums of mine (Yes, I am member of the AotP, for disclosure).

http://tinyurl.com/7vg9tez

Another option would be the Queen Mary and the Russian Submarine, also in Long Beach.

http://tinyurl.com/6trwmqe

Alas, I threw my back out taking the photos of the Submarine..... Such is life!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indoor Activity?

Aquarium of the Pacific would be a great choice. As for the Queen Mary -- ZZZZZ. It's a pain to park and a pain to get on board and then expensive and all you get is an old boat. Unless you are avid old boat fans, I would wear yourself and your toddler out going there. I haven't checked out the Russian sub.

And as for rain over the weekend -- so far the forecast for the rest of the week is for warm sunny skies. We're all doing a rain dance HOPING for some rain.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indoor Activity?

Look at the Bowers Museum.

http://www.bowers.org/

There is also always South Coast Plaza and go for a carousel ride, shop a bit have a nice meal.

Dallas
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Indoor Activity?

Last Sunday we took our 22 month old sons to the aquarium of the pacifics & if we could do it again we would have not gone. It was packed & it was not as good as I had heard. So hard to see things & the exhibits weren't even that good. I have been to many better aquariums. If you go, go early so you can get a parking spot at the bottom of the parking structure. One of the elevators were out & instead of waiting forever in a stroller line we carried the stroller up & down several flights of stairs. Monday was still a little cool but we went to downtown Disney & it was wonderful. We ate at the rainforest & checked out all the fun shops. I would recommend that instead! Hope you have a great trip.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indoor Activity?

If your from Chicago, a 68 degree day is a very warm day for winter! Lol

If I had free tickets and a toddler, I would do the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Another suggestion would be Centennial Farms in Costa Mesa to pet the sheep, goats and horses then look at all the produce being grown and then afterwards visit the OC Marketplace next door to pick up so great souvenirs and lunch. (But this is outdoors)

ocfair.com/ocf2/…CentennialFarm.aspx

Balboa Fun Zone would be something else I would do with a toddler but again it is outdoors.

I'm sorry but I disagree with the Downtown Disney idea because it would be a drag for a toddler as its basically outdoor shopping. If you like the Rainforest Cafe then go to South Coast Plaza like suggested as they have one inside near the carousel.

One last thought. since your toddler is a boy, he might like Prehistoric Pets on Brookhurst in Fountain Valley. I know mine certainly did and still do!

Edited: 22 February 2012, 22:29
Chicago, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Indoor Activity?

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate it. The forecast has jumped from 58 to 68 degrees, which is exciting. We may end up outdoors, because as you mentioned...it's much warmer than here in Chicago. :)

We're about to hit the road! Thanks again!

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indoor Activity?

When you are there, you will not want ot be indoors...take a day trip to Balboa Island and Corona Del Mar...this is SoCal

8. Re: Indoor Activity?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:15