We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

I travelled years ago from Anaheim to San Diego on Amtrak and it was one of the prettiest train rides I have ever been on. I need to get from HB to San Diego, is this possible? And would it travel the same route? Thanks

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

There's no direct train service to Huntington Beach. You can take the train to San Juan Capistrano (same train you took to Anaheim, most scenic part of the route). Then you would transfer to an OCTA #91 bus and take it down to Pacific Coast Highway & Obispo in Dana Point near Dana Point Harbor. From there you'd catch a northbound OCTA #1 bus which runs up Pacific Coast Highway to Huntington Beach. It would be a long ride, though the bus along PCH from Dana Point through Laguna Beach to Huntington Beach would also be very pretty.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

Probably your best bet from Huntington Beach would be to head to the Amtrak station in Santa Ana - I think this is the closest station to Huntington at about 18 miles away. The San Juan Capistrano station is about 28 miles from Huntington. On the other hand, if you're in a hurry the San Juan Capistrano station is closer to San Diego, while heading to Santa Ana from Huntington is headed somewhat backwards when your ultimate destination is San Diego.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

Thankyou!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

Either Santa Ana or Irvine AmTrak stations are closer than SJC.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

But San Juan Capistrano gives you easy access to the OCTA Route 1, a nice scenic bus trip up the coast, and using public transportation is not that much longer than using multiple buses from either the Santa Ana or Irvine Train Stations.

www.octa.net

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

Darkbeer's right, there's no decent bus connection from Santa Ana or Irvine over to Huntington Beach, even though they're closer to Huntington Beach. Sometimes when you're on transit, connections trump distance.

Orange County has more bus service than people think, but the connections to the Metrolink/Amtrak rail line are often poor. And bus service is better in the center of the county (Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa) than in the beach communities.

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

Hi

I'm planning to go to Huntington Beach from San Diego tomorrow. I know short notice and short time for planning. That's why I hope any of you can help me out. I will have someone pick me up around Huntington Beach though.

So any ideas which train and which stop I should meet my friends? and where is the closet train stop in San Diego I should go?

Thank u and hope u all have a good weekend.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

Wanderer's instructions in response #1 will get you here. Enjoy your time in Huntington Beach.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

My daughter is traveling to Anaheim with a group of 11 and they want to visit Huntington Beach. Any suggestions on how to get there from Anaheim? Thanks

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Huntington Beach to San Diego?

The best option for 11 people if you don't want to rent a van is to get a private van from one of the shuttle/limo services. I can't recommend one specifically but you can Google Limo Services Orange County and get a number of companies.

Edited: 06 July 2011, 05:03