We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

j1 jobs summer 2010

czech republic
2 posts
Save Topic
j1 jobs summer 2010

Hi,

I'm a student from Czech Republic and I'd like to go to Huntington Beach this summer (mid june - end of september). I was wondering whether there's a chance to get a summer job... do you have any advice?

LA
Level Contributor
9,927 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

Post this on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree USA branch.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

Always a chance but you would have to have a "green card" enabling you to work legally. Most student visas don't allow you to work.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

J1 Visa's allow them to work here Cats. Most must show proof that they have a job set for them to get the J1's (owner/manager signs a document saying so) unless they have a certain amount of money in the bank. They are only allowed to stay for a certain period of time and most only stay between school sessions. However, they do need a social security card to get paid. For some of them, the process of completing that part is confusing.

Malimea...you wont find a job by posting online here. You need to be contacting the places of employment by email instead. This will require some google searching on your end. Some establishments, particularly in downtown HB, do hire J1's this way.

I am sure you already know, many J1'sare skipping the East Coast again in favor of the beaches here and we are flooded with J1 inquiries. Many tell me that the West Coast is a much more fun experience than the East Coast but more culterally isolated because we dont gather a higher rate of J1's from all over the world like the East Coast does. Good Luck.

LA
Level Contributor
9,927 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

A J1 is a specific work visa for students.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

If you really are interested in a summer job rather than just having a holiday, you might find it easier to go through an organisation such as BUNAC as they help with all the paperwork. I was placed on a summer camp through Bunac & it was simple. They have quite a few other programs for job placements. There are fee's, but better to have it done properly than be deported or not allowed in the US.

http://www.bunac.org/

czech republic
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

i'm actully going through an agency, it's work and travel program. they can find a job for me, but it's mostly in national parks and i'd rather go somewhere to "civilization."

i was also thinking about the east coast - myrtle beach or ocean city in maryland, although i'd prefer the west coast. still, better something than nothing :o)

hope i'll get lucky soon..

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

Malimea,

Some of these agency's hook you up with housing with other J1"s from all over the world on the East coast. Does yours do this? If so, you need to take this into consideration when making your decision on the destination.

Staying at one of these places on the East Coast, gives you a higher chance of having contact with someone that speaks your language. You write as if you speak English quite well so you may not care about this but you wont feel so isolated living with other exchange students.

Finding a place to stay in Huntington can be difficult.. These organizations don't provide you with places to stay in Huntington Beach, That is why exchange students post here about where to stay before they arrive ..Most suggest www.craigslist.com. Some renters there are open to renting one room to 2 people for a short period of time (assuming your not travelling alone) and enjoy sharing our culture with you and learning of your culture in return. But that is difficult to find. Beware, we do NOT have hostels.

Edited: 23 January 2010, 17:34
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

Sorry -- I completely overlooked the J1 reference.

If you are going to attend a university nearby you might try their

student placement office. And, I would make a direct call to your agency and let them know what sort of job you are looking for. They won't put feelers out for private sector jobs unless they know that they have someone interested in taking them.

LA
Level Contributor
9,927 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

There is at least ONE hostel in Huntington Beach according to Google, and multiple hostels in the Orange county area.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: j1 jobs summer 2010

THERE ARE NO HOSTELS IN HB!

and there has not been one for many years. The ONLY hostel left in Orange County is in Fullerton. Read the "Top Questions" on the upper right about this.

Edited: 23 January 2010, 19:53