We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

Galway
2 posts
Save Topic
Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

Hi all, myself and some friends are heading to Huntington Beach this summer and were wondering in anyone had any information or tips on finding jobs and accomodation over there? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

I would like to offer you some advice. There are many local restaurants and bars on Main Street that are always in need of seasonal summer help. Also, the hotels are also looking as well. You will have to get a social security number once here... dont forget. Without one, you will not get hired.

You might want to contact businesses my email now and ask if they would be willing to offer you a job opportunity. Tell them who you are, when you are coming and how long you will be staying. It is also good to write a bit about yourself such as your hobbies, schooling, any work experience you have had. Add about what a hard worker you are, will work any hours or any day. Most of the businesses on Main street are independently owned and are more open to hiring exchange students. There are actually two Irish pubs down there...how cool would that be to actually employ real Irish people! But you will have to be 21 years old to work in a bar.

I hire a couple exchange students every summer and it has always been a great experience.(sorry..positions are already filled for 2008). They have always made email connections through craiglist.com for room rentals. A week or so before they arrive, they contact by email first explaining their situation and their need of a short rental period to find out who is willing to rent on short term(less than 6 months) Many want 6 months or more Some are more than willing to rent a room short term to share the American experience. Then, they call the day they arrived at the airport and make appointments to drive to look at each room available. Each looks at several places before choosing the right place for them. Last summer, two that I hired were friends who found one room through craigslist.com that they were allowed to share. It was not furnished, so they bought sleeping bags and were fine with that. They bought used bikes and rode them everywhere for transportation. They rented a car a couple times throughout summer for sight seeing days.

Here is a list of places down there. You will have to do some work to get their email info. Any of these places are good.

www.stockteam.com/main-street-dining.html

http://www.stockteam.com/main_street.html

Hopes this helps.

Galway
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

Thanks very much for your advice and information it's much appreciated! We're all 21 so working in an Irish bar in huntington beach sounds very appealing we'll definitely be checking that out! I was just wondering if you knew if it's difficult or not to line up jobs before going over to huntington beach, we've heard it's a great place and that working in surf shops etc is alot of fun but I've heard it's difficult to get jobs over there recently and we're finding it hard to get in touch with local business over there?

Thanks again

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

Our economy is not that good at the moment and the restaurant industry is taking a hard blow. But come summer time, the beach area will change and tourists will come and with that..employees will be needed to run our businesses efficiently. I would still send out some emails and see if you get any responses. If you don't, when you are here, stop by and ask for the owner and remind them that you emailed them!

Dublin
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

Saw this forum through google thought maybe it could help me out too! Does anyone know of any employers willing to hire a few hard working, reliable Irish students in hungtington beach for the summer? We're findin it basically impossible to get in touch with bars etc over and really want to have some potential jobs lined up before we head over.

Cheers

Four lovely Irish girls!

ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

Can I ask a question? Why have you decided on Huntington beach? Me and a couple of my friends (male irish 22-23 students)are planning a trip to California as well and we just haven't decided what part? Could you tell me why u decided on this particular part? Can't wait!!

ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

22-23 yr olds that is! About 3-5 of us.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

There is 5 of us heading to Huntington Beach aswell. We are flying out next Monday. Cant Wait!! Only problem is with our finals and everything we havent had a chance to look into houses or accommodation.

How hard would it be to find a house of $2000 to $2500 a month? What could I expect for that? Ill be walking up Main Street next Tuesday looking for a job!

Im sure ill see the rest of ye J1ers on the beach at somestage over the summer:)

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

I just had three Ukrainian girls come by and tell me a story of how 20 of them had J1 visas and had secured jobs at Knotts Berry Farm before they left home. When they arrived a couple weeks ago, Knotts told them that they decided not to hire any of them! Not one of the three has been able to find a job since arriving.

My advice..dont act so immature and giddy when asking for a job- not impressive at all.

If several go together inquiring about employment act like you are all responsible and dependable. Tell us that you are a fast learners, will take whatever position you have open and can work any hours available. Thats what we want to hear.

You are at a disadvantage being that you are here for short time employment and the employer doesnt have a long time to train you. Also, you are arriving in the high season and wont have the luxury of training while business is slow either so you will have to pick it up fast. By hiring a short term employee, a business owner is at a disadvantage being that you will leave after a few months and he will have to hire and train your replacement which costs the owner more. So, you need to impress that you will learn quick, do the job right and always show up for work and will make it worthwhile to the business owner to hire you.

Just dont behave like these girls..... who acted like they wanted to PARTY all night long...all day long..giggle giggle giggle.

p.s.

HB is a great beach community and you will love it here

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

And house prices? 2000 to 2500 a month is probably our budget. What would that get us. There is a couple of girls in my group dreaming of beach side houses. Im trying to be a bit more realistic! What do you think I could get for that?

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summer Jobs/accomodation in Huntington Beach

hmmm that might be difficult. I quickly found these.

http://www.vrbo.com/28759

…craigslist.org/apa/687102723.html