We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and Water Temperature in September

Edgewood, New Mexico
Level Contributor
831 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Weather and Water Temperature in September

We are trying to make it to HB the first week of September. We are from the high desert in Santa Fe and would love a day at the beach. What is the weather like and the water temperature? We have kids 4 and 7, will they be able to swim? Anything happening after the Labor Day weekend? Would a weekday be better than coming on the weekend? We love Mom & Pop dining, any good seafood places in HB? Is it hard to get a firepit if you come on a weekday and in September?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Whale-Watching Cruise from Newport...
105 Reviews
from US$24.99*
Free Cancellation
Whale-Watching and Orange County...
6 Reviews
from US$68.99*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
California Beach Cities Day Trip...
15 Reviews
from US$145.00*
US$169.00
Free Cancellation
Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

Last year, the first through the 7th, it was in the high 80's and low 90's. The 7th -10 it was in the high 70's. September, we usually start to have our "heat waves". I dont know exactly what the water temp will be but if the weather is still hot, it should be warm too.

Your kids will be able to swim and the lifeguards will still be there. Plant yourselves next to a life guard tower for extra security.

Labor Day weekend will be a zoo. If the weather is hot, like the 90's, all the people inland will be coming to the beach as well as the locals. They will make a full day of it and all the fire pits will be gone very early. After Labor Day, it will be a whole lot slower. because school is in session.

Weekdays are always better at the beach especially if you want to get a fire pit. Fridays and Saturdays, the local crowds like to do bonfires but you dont have to get there by 2 or 3 to acquire one like you will have to do on other weekends. (Labor Day weekend you probably need to get one by 11 am or earlier depending on the weather.

Main Street is chalked full of Mom and Pop dining. You can take your pick. Dukes on the sand also serves seafood and terrific calamari..not Mom and Pop..but very nice. Your kids would probably like to eat at Rubys at the end of the pier over the water.

I have some photos in my profile of Rubys, Dukes and the beach.

Have Fun!

Mentioned in this post
Ruby's Diner
Ruby's Diner
768 Reviews
Huntington Beach, CA
Edgewood, New Mexico
Level Contributor
831 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

Thanks ihave2dogs!

We are now planning to go to HB after the Labor Day Weekend, maybe Wednesday or Thursday. What is a good time to get to the beach? When does the sun come out? How big are the fire pits and how much wood does it hold? How far away from and what is the best route to get to HB from Disneyland? What is the best time to travel to avoid traffic?

Any local places around Disneyland to take the family to eat that you would recommend?

Any waterparks you recommend? My daughter is 4 years old and about 40 inches tall, would she be to have a good time at a waterpark?

Do you have any other suggestions to get the most out of our Southern California vacation?

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

Elementary school starts that week (High School starts the week prior) in our area. So, the season will be calming down quite a bit.

You could get there pretty much any time. As for the sun, email me a few days before you go and I will let you know what the whether is like. You could probably get a fire pit anytime, but I would say by 6 would be good. I can also find that info out too for you as I know the lifeguards down there who will give me all the details at that time.

The fire pits are about 4 feet wide. Not sure how long you will be staying for a bonfire. A couple bundles of wood bought at the grocery store will most likely be enough for about 1 1/2 hours That wood does burn fast.

I believe Knotts Soak City water park is closer to Disneyland than Wild Rivers in Irvine. I have never taken my kids there (we do Wild Rivers) so I cannot comment on the park itself other than the 4 year old will like the rides, but you most likely will have to go along with her.

As for directions to HB, I prefer Brookhurst. Take Katella west and then turn south on Brookhurst. It will dead end at Pacific Coast Highway in Huntington Beach. This is STATE beach. Make a right and go down several miles to City Beach. City beach is between Beach Blvd and about Goldenwest. I think you should park at the 1st street parking lot (by Dairy Queen) This way you are right where the Lifeguard headquarters are (near tower 3/5).

Downtown Disney has the Rainforest Cafe. Further south on Katella is Red Robin which has good food and is very kid friendly.

Ask any questions. I will be glad to help you.

Mentioned in this post
Irvine
Irvine
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
City Beach
City Beach
77 Reviews
Long Beach, CA
Downtown Disney
Downtown Disney
8,048 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Rainforest Cafe
Rainforest Cafe
2,843 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

Forgot to add...it takes about 3-40 minutes from Disneyland to HB pier. If you do take Brookhurst, the kids might like to stop at Prehistoric Pets on the way down towards Disneyland. It is a large retail store that sell huge, huge snakes, lizards, tarantulas and the like. You can even buy worms to feed the huge fish in the pond. It has the EEEK factor and "thats cool". at the same time. It is on Brookhurst between Garfield and Ellis. (if going south from Dland, it is on the left.

Kids also like the tide Pools in Laguna Beach. There are several spots, but the easiest to find is that at Main Beach. Walk to the right near the rocks. You can touch the sea anemones, run from crabs, and awe at the baby fish. Kids love it. Make sure they wear some sort of shoes because the rocks are sharp and go at low tide for safety and more to see.

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Main Beach
Main Beach
492 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

NMBullRr,

I need to clarify something about the fire pits. The State Beach side...from Brookhurst to Beach Blvd. they have some of the 4ft wide fire pits. They even have paved sidewalks almost to the water's edge so you can walk to these fire pits easily. I was there a couple weeks ago near the intersection on PCH and Magnolia.

Today, I was at the city side of Huntington Beach from Beach Blvd. to about Main Street. The fire pits start at lifeguard tower 5 (south of the pier and Main Street) and continue on down south into State beach. These fire pits are much smaller. They are no more than 3 feet wide. They seem to get bigger the farther down the coast you go.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
91 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

Water temps vary wildly. HB has been low 60s most of the last decade in the summer. But for 2 weeks last summer, water temp was up to 73.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

For Mom and Pop dining, try Sugar Shack downtown main street. Their breakfasts are fantastic and a local favorite.

Mentioned in this post
Sugar Shack Cafe
Sugar Shack Cafe
895 Reviews
Huntington Beach, CA
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

September is usually one of the hottest months in the area. Especially with Santa Ana winds it can be warmer along the beach area than inland.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Orange County, CA
9. Re: Weather and Water Temperature in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 17:20