We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Hi All!

We are renting early to assure a good place to stay in HB in July. I rented a place on California Street and I was wondering about the location. It will be my husband and my son will be 15 at that time and a friend. We have stayed in Laguna Beach and Newport the last couple of times and I just felt since they were getting a little older, HB might be more fun for them. They were somewhat bored at Laguna (my favorite) and although, we stayed right on the beach at Newport, I wasn't crazy about the city. I'm hoping the vibe at HB is better for them.

Anyway, I didn't want to stay where all the action is in HB, but still close enough for the boys to walk or ride bikes. What are your thoughts? I still have time to cancel if I need too.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
9 replies to this topic
Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Just to be clear there will be 4 of us. I will be there too. Re-reading my question, I wasn't very clear.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
556 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Well downtown hb is not that much different from those other beachtowns, but i think there will be alot more people of your kids age wandering around downtown hb if that is the reason they were bored.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,823 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

I am fairly sure it must be an illegal rental in HB. LSCATS should be along shortly to comment, but I think HB bans short term vacation rentals.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Yes. That rental is most definitely illegal. Huntington Beach does NOT allow rentals for less than 30 days. https:/…

Please understand that there are good reasons for this ordinance. Especially in the area of that rental, parking, noise, and traffic are of great concern. But on the broader scale, short term rentals have drastically reduced the availability of critically needed long term rental housing. If we can't house workers in our community we all suffer.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

If that's the 2 bedroom upstairs apartment, you've got another problem in that it may be a sub-lease and the owner probably doesn't even know the long-term lease holder is renting the unit out as an STR.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Vacation rentals are illegal in Huntington Beach EXCEPT in the area known as Sunset Beach, which is nowhere near California Street—it's on the far north end of town, just south of Seal Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
California
California
United States
Seal Beach
Seal Beach
302 Reviews
Seal Beach, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Note the ordinance. There are specific permitted STR's in Sunset Beach, which were grandfathered in when Sunset Beach was annexed to Huntington Beach. Many were were STR's for decades and have little impact on the long-term housing market.

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Newport Beach allows short-term rentals, but only in specifically designated districts. newportbeachca.gov/government/departments/fi…

Laguna Beach bans all but previously permitted STR's and those with permits in specific areas. The latest version of that city's ordinance did not get required approval of the California Coastal Commission. However, some version of it will be passed and in any case, all legal STR's will have a permit, that should be checked by perspective renters. lagunabeachcity.net/cityhall/cd/planning/sho…

Seal Beach also bans all short term rentals: www.qcode.us/codes/sealbeach/…

Do not assume that any listings shown on AirbnB, VRBO, Homeaway or TripAdvisor are legal. The listing forums take no responsiblity for screening listings for legal compliance.

Edited: 22 January 2018, 19:34
Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
California
California
United States
Seal Beach
Seal Beach
302 Reviews
Seal Beach, CA
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?

Sorry LSCats, your reply and mine crossed (it took me a while to hit 'post').

Reply to: Renting apt. on California Street in HB-good location?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted