We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestion

philly
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Hotel suggestion

Hello, I’m looking at the PASEA, Hilton, Hyatt. I’m going alone to visit my son and a friend. typically like boutique hotels but Would like to be on the beach with amenities. Any other suggestions? Appreciate it.

10 replies to this topic
Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
1. Re: Hotel suggestion

Kimpton Shorebreak is more of a botique hotel and located right on the beach. Never been myself but I am familiar with the brand and have liked every other property I have stayed at.

Level Contributor
39,076 posts
1,014 reviews
2. Re: Hotel suggestion

We like Kimptons also, we have stayed at ones in Portland, Oregon and Sedona, Arizona. 🌹🌵

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
189 reviews
3. Re: Hotel suggestion

The Kimpton is NOT right on the beach. Like the Pasea, the Hilton and the Hyatt, it is across the street from the beach. Of the 4, the Kimpton would be my LAST choice. The rooms are small and few but the front rooms with highest prices have ocean views. There is no pool. Service in the restaurant is predictably awful. Noise from people leaving nearby downtown bars is a problem.

Given the budget you stated in your Laguna Beach post, I would recommend the Hyatt and Hilton over the Pasea (or the Kimpton). Pasea's pluses are that it is brand new, has a fun roof bar and is adjacent to the new Pacific City Center. It's minuses -- The rooms are small and have a strange design for the bathrooms, which are not entirely private. They are open to the bedroom with a closure like a barn door. The restaurant has had some problems and had to close and reopen. The pool gets the most complaints. Small for a hotel with a small deck. They Hyatt is grand with beautiful grounds, great rooms, multiple pools, and one of the best spas in the country. The Hilton is being refurbished and will be opening its new tower next month. It has a beautiful pool and is adding another. Lovely rooms all have ocean views.

Edited: 20 January 2018, 02:01
4. Re: Hotel suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2018, 20:00

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,292 posts
435 reviews
5. Re: Hotel suggestion

I would choose the Pasea because it is attached to a shopping center. If I were coming with family and kids I'd choose the Hyatt Regency, but I think as a solo traveler you'd appreciate the Pasea more.

philly
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Hotel suggestion

thanks so much for your suggestions. Now i am in between the Pasea and the Hilton. I would like to walk to shops and restaurants if possible. I am seeing a better rate, 250.00 cheaper at the Hilton too.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
189 reviews
7. Re: Hotel suggestion

The Hilton feels like a boutique hotel. It isn't a huge resort. It is just steps from the Pacific City Center and just a few blocks from the Pier and Main St. Hardly any farther than the Pasea. My pick would be the HIlton, especially if it is less expensive. You can also sign up for the Hilton Honors program and get an even better discount. The pool area at the Hilton is beautiful. They are also opening their brand new tower next month. You didn't say when you were coming but construction is completed and they are just doing the landscape and finish work now.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Hotel suggestion

The Pasea Hotel is very nice as it is new and attached to the upscale Pacific City. I do like their restaurant, Tanners despite what Cats says. I feel this hotel attracts more adults than families. The Hilton next door is also a very nice hotel and I would recommend it if it is cheaper than Pasea. Please check to see if the ongoing construction will be a bother to you. The Hyatt is a resort and very family oriented. Most of my out of town family chooses to stay here and they love every bit of it. A few family members (no children) use to book The Kimpton instead but now book the Pasea and say they prefer it over the Kimptom tenfold and will continue to book Pasea every year.

Since you're here to visit your son, I don't think you will be at your hotel much so I would book based on price.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,292 posts
435 reviews
9. Re: Hotel suggestion

If The Waterfront Beach Resort (Hilton) is coming in significantly cheaper, it is kind of a no brainer to go with it. It may be so cheap because of the construction.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
189 reviews
10. Re: Hotel suggestion

The construction at the Waterfront Hilton is essentially over. Only landscaping and minor finishing seems to be going on now. I believe they are offering some promotional pricing to introduce the new tower and pools. I would grab those deals now as they won't last.

I just noticed that the Waterfront Hilton website no longer has the banner about construction and they are booking and advertising the new Twin Dolphin Tower. waterfrontresort.com/dolphin-tower-hotel-roo…

Edited: 22 January 2018, 20:22
Reply to: Hotel suggestion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted