We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

Hello,

We’re visiting the area at the end of May for 1 week. We are spending 5 nights at a HomeAway so we can visit a new baby in the family. We are wanting to do a little side trip for 2 nights before we have to leave out of LAX. We will have a rental car.

I’m considering taking a tent so that we can camp for those two nights. Death Valley came to mind as a place to visit but I thought I would ask the experts!

Family of 5 kids are 4,9, and 10. Love to camp, hike, explore etc. we’re an active family.

Mentioned in this post
Whale-Watching Cruise from Newport...
105 Reviews
from US$24.99*
Free Cancellation
Whale-Watching and Orange County...
6 Reviews
from US$68.99*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
California Beach Cities Day Trip...
15 Reviews
from US$145.00*
US$169.00
Free Cancellation
22 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

Joshua Tree NP is a lot closer, my family loves to camp there.

Anza Borrego SP? San Diego County Parks has some little camping cabins that you can rent, so you wouldn't have to bring your tent, but still have that outdoor experience. sdparks.org/content/…AguaCaliente.html

Also look at Catalina Island. Various beach Campgrounds. Big Bear Lake could be an option- May is usually pretty nice, but cool in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
The Anza Hotel
The Anza Hotel
1,317 Reviews
Calabasas, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,899 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

I'd camp in a hotel in Palm Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,660 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

I agree with a visit to Palm Springs. BTW -- You do know that all residential short term rentals in Huntington Beach, except for Sunset Beach, are illegal?

Edited: 22 November 2017, 16:55
Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,898 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

In May, we get what is called May Gray along the coast, where you may (or may not) have a cloudy marine layer. It usually burns off around noon or so.

If you want definite sunshine, the deserts are the place to go.

Temps around Furnace Creek in Death Valley are usually pushing 100 in the daytime(nights are very nice) around that time of year, so take that into account if tent camping.That doesn't bother me, but not sure if that is an issue with you. Not all of DV is hot, you can camp in the mountains in cooler temps, or there are hotels with pools.

https:/…weather.htm

Joshua Tree would be nice. Its a few thousand feet higher than Furnace Creek.Lots of fun boulders for the kids to play on.

Palm Spring with hotels and pools/waterslides might be really fun for the kids. You can ride the tram to the top of the mountain to be in the pine trees, or hike in the indian canyons.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,898 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

You could combine a trip of Joshua Tree with Palm Springs. They are not far from each other.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

Lscats- I didn’t know this. I’m not one for breaking the law and honestly didn’t even think of it being an issue. We’ve already booked but maybe I should find a place in sunset beach? I’m shocked that there are so many available to rent since it is illegal.... yikes....

I will check out Palm Springs!

Love the idea of staying in a cabin so we can get that close to nature feel!

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

Agree that JT is a better choice than Death Valley. You could spend one night camping there and one night in Palm Springs. The main entrance to JTNP is 45 minutes' drive from downtown Palm Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,660 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

Here is information regarding the the Short Term Rental Ordinance in Huntington Beach huntingtonbeachca.gov/announcements/…

The commercial operation of a short-term vacation rental in single family and multiple family zones is not permitted under the Huntington Beach Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance. ... Renting out a residence for less than 30 days is a misdemeanor infraction and fines can be imposed up to $1,000. per day per violation.Sep 28, 2015

City of Huntington Beach, CA - News -Short-Term Vacation Rentals ...

huntingtonbeachca.gov/announcements/…

Since it is illegal to rent out a home as a short-term rental, your contract is illegal and therefore, can be rescinded. While the $1000 fine applies to the owners, neighbors are encouraged to and do request enforcement by the city when noise and traffic from STR's becomes a problem. One of the reasons for the STR ban is the critical shortage of long term rental properties in the area, caused by the proliferation of STR's. Sorry, but STR's really are a problem for those of us who live here year 'round.

I suggest either a hotel stay (The Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach with multiple slider pools is great for kids) or the Residence Inn Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley, which has two bedroom units with kitchens. marriott.com/hotels/…

Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington...
3,917 Reviews
Huntington Beach, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,410 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

Sequoia and Kings Canyon are great!

https:/…campgrounds.htm

Mentioned in this post
Bowling Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
164 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!

LScats- what a mess! I had no idea. Here in Ohio, there is no fight to stay and visit so we just don’t have that issue lol. I will need to rethink and rework that lodging.

I might extend our trip by 4 or 5 nights so we can do Sequoia, the Canyon, and Yosemite. From what I’ve read, that would be enough time to get a taste of those areas..... right?

I think we’ll save Death Valley for our next visit to Vegas...

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Feel free to make more as my mind and plans will change another 10 times before I commit;)

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: 5 nights at HB, 2 nights somewhere else... help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted