We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX to Hesperia

Christchurch, New...
1 post
Save Topic
LAX to Hesperia

Hi .. I will be flying in to LAX and need to get to Hesperia .. Cal Earth Institute in particular .. Have never driven in the US and not particularly keen as we drive on the other side. So what is the best way for me to get there .. Thanks ..

3 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX to Hesperia

You have outlined your fears to driving which is understandable. If driving on the opposite side of what are used to then all I could recommend is to put those fears aside like thousands of other visitors and rent a car.

Renting a vehicle is your best option.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,027 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX to Hesperia

Its over 90 miles and as far as I know there's no public transportation option that will go there. A taxi would be close to $300 probably. A shared van shuttle (which can detour to pick up or drop off other passengers along the way) looks to be about $135 - www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com You might also check with a company like www.zippyshuttle.net to see what rate they would charge.

I agree with the above post, however - better to just rent a car. Try and put your concerns aside and just do it.

Otherwise, another thought would be to book your airline ticket to the Ontario Airport (airport code ONT) - this will for sure involve a stop somewhere else first where you'd switch planes - probably San Francisco. But it might be worth it since you'd be looking at about 40 miles and about $120 taxi ride on the ground, or about $75 for a shared van shuttle (remember to double the cost differences since you will need to not only get from the airport to Hesperia, but back to the airport from Hesperia).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,418 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX to Hesperia

If you can take a flight to Ontario, you really won't have any problems driving out to Hesperia. There is traffic, of course, but it's not the huge mad crush you will get driving out of LAX. It would be worth it to take a short flight into Ontario, even if it's a additional flight from LAX.

Driving on the right is easy - it just requires concentration for the first few days. Speed limits are posted, suggested speeds for curves are posted and the roads are wide.

Alternatively, I have no idea what the Cal Earth Institute is but if you can fly to Ontario, could somebody from there pick you up? It's a pretty short drive - under an hour!

Reply to: LAX to Hesperia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hesperia