We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach?

New Canaan...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Family Vacation at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach?

We are a family of 6 from CT planning to go to the LA area for a week in August. My kids are ages 5-13. We are spending 2 nights at Disneyland and am planning 4 nights in Hermosa Beach. After Disneyland, I wanted a relaxing beach hotel for the remaining days. We want to bike, play on the beach, relax, etc. is Hermosa Beach right for us? Is it family friendly or just a big party? I was thinking of Santa Monica instead but that seemed not as relaxing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,633 posts
435 reviews
1. Re: Family Vacation at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach?

MishMom, welcome to the forums.

We spent a year in Rowayton in my youth and my great aunt lived in Darien for years.... :)

As to Hermosa vs Santa Monica, it is just a matter of personal taste. I like Hermosa Beach a lot, but it isn't everyone's favorite. You can easily bike and walk between the Hermosa pier and Manhattan Beach Pier.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,892 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Family Vacation at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach?

Hermosa Beach is on the same beach as Manhattan Beach. The Piers are two miles apart. Mostly the only difference is the color of the street signs.

In MB you can be closer to LAX, freeways and other sites. The Sea View Inn is just up from the beach, and consists of 5 buildings from motel units to 2 bed apartments.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/

They offer free parking and free use of bikes, boogie boards, beach chairs and umbrella's. That's a good deal for being so close to the beach.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: Family Vacation at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach?

Santa Monica feels like more of a "city " next to the beach while Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, and the beach areas of Redondo Beach feel more suburban. Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach are in the same school district and are very similar to each other. Both are family friendly. The beachfront Strand in Hermosa is crowded because bicycles, roller skaters, and pedestrians all share the same walkway. In Manhattan Beach the houses are farther away from the water so there is a separate walkway for pedestrians. Hermosa is denser. We will go to dinner in Hermosa near the pier. At 6 PM the restaurants will have older people and families with kids; not that full. By 9 the same restaurant is crowded with 20 year olds. The Beach House is one of the only hotels that is literally beachfront. On weekends the area is busy with some event, like women's volleyball clinics going on near the hotel. For privacy and noise considerations I would definitely go for a room on a higher floor, maybe on the north side. Conveniently, a block away are bicycle rentals.

The Sea View Inn in Manhattan is a block away from the beach and would be quieter. It used to be considered a budget hotel. They recently remodeled and I notice that their prices went up.

Reply to: Family Vacation at the Beach House in Hermosa Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hermosa Beach
Recent Conversations
More Hermosa Beach Topics