We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

Our LA friends recommended we stay in Manhattan beach for our upcoming vacation but prefer a hotel on the beach in hermosa. Is it walking distance?

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

I do that walk every Saturday. It's about 1.5 miles along the beach walkway (the Strand) from the Hermosa Pier to the Manhattan Beach Pier (beach community center to beach community center) The iconic beach business districts in both communities are near their piers.

Some of Manhattan's best restaurants are inland while Hermosa has a lot of good restaurants near the beach.

Edited: 28 April 2015, 03:33
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

I do that walk every Saturday. It's about 1.5 miles along the beach walkway (the Strand) from the Hermosa Pier to the Manhattan Beach Pier (beach community center to beach community center) The iconic beach business districts in both communities are near their piers.

Some of Manhattan's best restaurants are inland while Hermosa has a lot of good restaurants near the beach.

Edited: 28 April 2015, 03:33
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

Ok thank you for the info. So it wouldn't be a bad choice staying in hermosa over manhattan I'm guessing? We basically just want a beachfront hotel and good food/shops nearby.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

Manhattan Beach has no hotels on the beach, so yes I think that it is a smart move. Are you at the Beach House or the Sea Sprite?

Both communities are very similar. Hermosa Beach is more densely packed than Manhattan and the night life tends to appeal to a younger crowd, but that's a subtle difference.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,882 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

The only hotel near the beach in Manhattan is the Sea View Inn, a long block up, but with balconies with sunset views. But they have free parking, free use of bikes, boogie boards and beach chairs from their lobby. There are lots of good restaurants in MB in the neighborhood of the Sea View Inn, Fishbar, Four Daughters, Pancho's, Sloopy's, etc.

Our favorites are a mile north around the Pier in Manhattan. MB Post, Fishing with Dynamite, Strand House, Rock N'Fish, Fonz's, Mama D's, MB BrewCo, Simmzy's and the Kettle.

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/

In the Pier area is The Shade Hotel, 3 blocks back from the beach, views from rooftop pool deck.

http://www.shadehotel.com/about/

In Hermosa, the Beach House is gorgeous, right on the busy strand.

http://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

Thank you both for the very helpful replies. My wife indeed wants to stay at the Beach House - her friend has stayed there and loves it.

But I'll look at the options suggested here in Manhattan beach as well, especially the Shade since a pool would be nice. (Even though it's off the beach).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,882 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

The Sea View Inn has a small swimming pool as well. I know what you mean about having a heated pool with a beach hotel. The Pacific Ocean is cold in summer, and nice to be able to take a little dip in a pool. There is just no room at our beaches to build resort size pools, so the Beach House doesn't have one.

8. Re: Hermosa to Manhattan beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2016, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Hermosa Beach
Recent Conversations
More Hermosa Beach Topics