We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
27 reviews
Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Traveling from the east coast. We only have two nights in Healdsburg for dinner. What are the positives and negatives of Guiso vs Mateo restaurants?

California
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Hmm those are two that I'd probably be least likely to choose out of all the restaurants in Healdsburg. If you've got two nights, where are you going the other night?

Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Thank you for your reply. We have a Thursday and Friday for dinner somewhere with a vineyard event on Saturday. I have a reservation at SHED on Friday but I have also considered Chalkboard. In the past we have been to Baci and Barndiva.

California
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Chalkboard is fantastic as is Campo Fina, Willi's and Brass Rabbit. Diavola in Geyserville is amazing. I always think of the SHED more as a breakfast/lunch place but they do that well so I'm sure their dinner is great too, the dining area is more cafe like than cozy restaurant.

Now as for your original question, I've never been to Guiso but it gets great reviews on yelp and I always look at the menu when I walk by. Cozy restaurant with a small number of tables.

Mateo isn't my favorite though I couldn't pin point why.

Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Thank you for your help! I wouldn't have guessed that about SHED based upon the reviews. I have also had a eye on Brass Rabbit. We stopped at Willi's Wine bar in Santa Rosa on a previous trip. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

California
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

The Willi's in Healdsburg vs SR is more seafood and cocktails. You might also want to check out Bravas which has the same owners as Willi's. Their back patio is beautiful and they have the best happy hour prices around (only mon-thurs though so that might not work with the times you'll be visiting).

I'd do SHED for a breakfast or lunch (they make the best cappuccino in town imo) and go to Willi's for a cocktail and appetizer then Brass Rabbit for dinner and finish up the night on the patio at Bravas for a g&t and their soft serve with olive oil and salt! That's an outline of my perfect evening! :)

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Mateo...ugh....yikes.

I'd opt for Campo Fina or Diavola. The latter is definitely worth the short drive to Gville.

In town, El Farolito is one of my favorites, make sure to sit at the bar and see Chuy. He will make you something very pleasing.

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

I'd add that I have been a cheerleader for Guiso...my experiences in there have been hit and miss though. Wonderful people.

Virginia
Level Contributor
268 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

Thanks for your info. This is very helpful. On our last trip we stayed in Guernville. While it was absolutely lovely we missed the convenience of being able to walk to so many excellent dining options.

9. Re: Guiso or Mateo for dinner please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2018, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Healdsburg
More Healdsburg Topics