We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid December Trip

Key West
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
17 reviews
Mid December Trip

It has been a couple of years since we have been to Healdsburg. We are putting together a mid December trip. We will be in Healdsburg for three nights. We currently have appointments set at Jordan and Blue Rock, I am looking for one or two more higher end winery's that off private experiences. Any suggestions?

My wife loves Christmas and is excited about the winery decorations. I know there is a Christmas walking tour of downtown Healdsburg. Is it a "cheesy tour"? We live in a tourist area and cringe every time the guided bar crawl walks into on of our local places. Would we be better off walking around at night on our own? Are there many homes an business in the area that are decorated with lights and other decorations?

Thanks,

Bonez

8 replies to this topic
Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Mid December Trip

Lots of houses decorate, and the Plaza is decorated as well. Some of the locals kiddingly mock the decorations and the one lone fir tree that has lights on it!

I thought the Christmas spirit there was fairly nice, and many of the wineries definitely do it up.

Did not do the tour, so can't help you there. I live in a very tourist/visitor-centric area, so can relate about the "cheese" factor of some of these tours...

Level Contributor
39,292 posts
1,019 reviews
2. Re: Mid December Trip

Gary Farrell is a nice winery in Healdsburg, they produce some very nice Pinot Noirs there. :)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
3. Re: Mid December Trip

Healdsburg is nice to walk about on your own. That way you can go to the wine tasting rooms, boutiques, and spend time where you want to go.

http://www.healdsburg.com/

If you do go out to Gay Farrell, its on Westside Road. there are other wineries to stop at and enjoy there.

http://www.westsideroadwineries.com/

In Santa Rosa (nearby), check to see if you are interested in any of their concerts, etc. this time of year.

Luther Burbank Center

https://lutherburbankcenter.org/

Its a fun thing to do at night and they put up nice Christmas trees in the lobby area.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Mid December Trip

For higher end tours you may consider Verite, Garden Creek (this is a smaller winery but still an excellent experience), you may enjoy the bubble room at J if you like Sparkling. Arista offers very nice appointment options.

Mardrona Manor typically offers a Dickensen carolers dinner option for something fun and festive.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Mid December Trip

Thank you all for the great suggestions! We've been to Gary Farrell in past visits :-) Now for the bad news. A nasty lady named Irma slapped us around. As much as we want this to happen we may be canceling our visit. ;-( We will know in a few weeks exactly how much our insurance will cover.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
710 posts
122 reviews
6. Re: Mid December Trip

Best wishes to you, Bonez.

Hopefully you will be able to make the trip when all pans out; Heaven knows you probably need it! Best to you and yours-

Amy

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Mid December Trip

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope insurance is good to you. I'm sure you could use a vacation after all the stress I'm sure you've been in.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Mid December Trip

Update:

As I sit here on the porch and look at piles hurricane debris, I am pleased to say my wife and I have decided to keep our vacation plans but scale things back a bit. Taking a vacation now is probably not exactly what we should be doing but we both need to decompress from the events of the last few months. We haven't made anymore reservations yet, instead deciding that we will take things slow and spend time walking around town and exploring the area, if we stumble into something that would be great. (Translation is we just need down time) again thanks for all the suggestions everyone they are in our notes and we may end up at a few of these places.

Cheers,

Bonez

Reply to: Mid December Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Healdsburg
Recent Conversations
More Healdsburg Topics