We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Oragne County - Charges for early check-in

Which Garden Grove hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hyatt Oragne County - Charges for early check-in

We stayed at the Hyatt for our Disneyland trip. We used Hotwire and got a rate of $66 for our family per night.

We arrived a 9am and wanted to check-in. fortunately they had a room that was empty and ready so they let us check-in early.

The next day, we checked out at 6:00am and saw a $20 charge for our early check-in.

So they charged us an extra 30% for 21 hours of use of their room.

I know many hotels charge for everything includeing parking like the Hyatt, but I spoke to Mark at the front desk and he said there was no way to remove the charge.

I explained to him that since we are leaving so early, they would be able to let some one else check-in early, but there was nothing he could do.

I know, it's their policy, but when will businesses learn that the $20 is not worth us leaving feeling like they were trying to milk us for every last dollar. Will I stay at a Hyatt in the future? definitely not. For all my business travel I will steer clear of Hyatt. so did they make $20 on the deal? maybe, but they lost thousands of dollars in future business.

I hope they figured it was worth it.

I just thought is was petty to charge us 30% extra just to use a room that was empty anyway and paid for!

Thanks for listening,

-Darin

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
29,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt Oragne County - Charges for early check-in

Well, Darin, That's one way to look at it. But consider this...

Because Hyatt was willing to participate with Hotwire's discount program, you and your family were able to stay at a top hotel for less than most other guests pay. If you're going to punish Hyatt for charging $20 for an early check in, consider rewarding them for offering to discount the room in the first place!!

The only "sticking point" for me would be: they should have alerted you to the fact, in advabnce, that there was a charge for the early check in (whether you paid full price or not!!). On that point, I would not take "No" for an answer (unless it's stated plainly somewhere).

San Diego, CA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt Oragne County - Charges for early check-in

So you're saying that if someone paid $200 for the same room, they should not charge for early check-in. But since I paid less, they SHOULD charge me?

It's not my fault they need to discount their rates through Hotwire to fill their rooms.

Don't you think they would get more business if they didn't charge for parking($15) and early check-in ($20)?

I also don't think companies should treat people differently based on how much they paid for the SAME product. It's not my fault I purchased their product at a discount rate which THEY were offering!

I got a good deal so they should try to squeeze as much money as they can out of me since I am paying less?

-Darin

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt Oragne County - Charges for early check-in

I do empathize with the OP. Hyatt should not send their excess inventory to a travel discounter if they do not intend on providing value to the consumer. After all, why else would that consumer use a discount travel service?

We have been "regulars" of the Hyatt Orange County for many years now. This year, I'm not giving them my business, because of this nickel and diming. At this particular Hyatt, they won't budge on anything. They won't take off any extra charges, even when you are a regular customer. Not that I expect it, but it would be nice. Actually, they imposed a charge on my room that was incorrect. What offended me was they did not give me the benefit of the doubt. It took them 4 days to "investigate" it and then to obliterate it from my account. Wow.

Other Hyatts I have been to (Huntington Beach, Bellevue, La Jolla, Valencia, New York City, Hong Kong, etc.) have not been so tight in their charges.

Anyways, this upcoming trip in July, we're not doing business with the Hyatt. We're staying at the Hampton Inn Garden Grove. For $100 per night, we get free hot breakfast for our family of 4, plus free parking!

4. Re: Hyatt Oragne County - Charges for early check-in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 14:20