We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront Lodging

Bend, Oregon
1 post
Beachfront Lodging

I'm traveling with my elderly parent who wants to be "on the beach". Anyone have a recommendation for beachfront lodging in Carlsbad or Oceanside, or Solano? I realize there is no beachfront lodging in Encinitas. We'll have a car though and can drive there for all the goodness it offers. Thanks much!

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Beachfront Lodging

Hello waterhealer, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Encinitas forum.

I know you aren't looking at beachfront lodging in Encinitas. There isn't any unless you own Swami's - which is privately owned by a Hindu religious sect. Sorry there isn't yet a North (San Diego) County forum. . . there should be, IMHO. So posting in the Encinitas forum is not a bad choice considering you are looking at Oceanside, Carlsbad and Solana Beach for beachside lodging. Understood.

I haven't really had a close look in some years at properties at the beach in North County, but as a former transplant I can tell you that North Coast Village is the class act in Oceanside. Worth checking out. Marina Village is the skyscraper condo at the Oceanside Small Craft Harbor, but I don't know if your parent is wanting that. I'd also check out www.vrbo.com for rentals in the North County beachside areas and see what you can find. TripAdvisor also has a listing of Oceanside vacation rentals. Here's the link: tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g32815-Revie…

Carlsbad has always been historically higher priced than Oceanside, but that may be changing as Oceanside is sprucing up their beach and close to beach areas and the place is really looking a whole lot better than what I knew so well back in the 1970's. Carlsbad has several beachside motels, and some are more established than the newer ones.

One I've been to with my brother some years back is the Best Western Beachview Lodge on Carlsbad Blvd. Just cross the Blvd. (which is Pacific Coast Highway) and you are at the beach, near an improved part of Tamarack Beach which has cement walkways and benches. Handy for walking to restaurants as well. They did a great job then, and are highly rated now. Here's the link: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32171-d76347-R…

Solana Beach: dunno of any beachside motels there. Can't remember any. I think you may be out of luck on that location.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Beachfront Lodging

Solana Beach has some VRBO's that are ocean view but because of the cliffs are not "on the beach." At the village of Solana Beach the access to the beach is quite narrow and the cliffs rise steeply.

Here's an example: http://www.vrbo.com/56751

Del Mar has some lodging that is "near" the beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Beachfront Lodging

Check out the Beach Terrace Inn in Carlsbad. Awesome hotel right on the beach!

4. Re: Beachfront Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2017, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Encinitas