We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

Bellingham...
2 posts
Save Topic
travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

Greetings! I am travelling to Encinitas for work with my toddler and a babysitter in tow. I am looking for a house rental. I wonder if there are any neighborhoods or streets I should stay away from for renting a house. Or areas to look in particularly? There are a lot of rentals in Seabluffe but it seems rather sterile though very nice. We would like to be walkable to town; not so much the beach as my child needs constant supervision there at this point. :) Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,713 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

Encinitas is a nice suburban town. I don't know of any "no go" streets.

Not sure what you mean by "sterile"? It is a suburban development of lovely houses but it is in the Leucadia area which is not the "town center".

You need to be south of Encinitas Boulevard to walk to stores/restaurants parks/ beach etc.

IF you put Encinitas,California into Google you can click on the map that comes up to see locations.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
Bellingham...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

Thanks, riffsmom, for your reply. By "sterile" ....poor choice of a word. I meant to say that Seabluffe seems far from restaurants, shops, coffeshops, parks, that type of thing and therefore less connected to the particular feel of Encinitas, if you will. Just from my traveller's perspective, I would like to be able to walk to shops and restaurants. Thank you very much for sharing your perspective; I appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,713 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

No prob. You are correct in your assessment.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,364 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

Why Encinitas of all the places you could be in San Diego County? Downtown Encinitas isn't necessarily a hot bed of activity and tourist attractions?

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
593 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

Encinitas definitely isn't a "hot bed of activity" as scottca075 says. However, if you're looking for a walkable, interesting small-town type downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants, its perfect. Seabluffe is a condo development on the north edge of Leucadia, not walkable to much but Grandview Beach. Look for a rental west of the Coast Highway further south.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas
Encinitas
California
6. Re: travelling with toddler -- safe areas to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Encinitas