We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

ct
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

Hi,

Looking for opinions on whether a family with a 5 year old or an 8 year old would enjoy the Ritz or the St Regis more. Going to be in California in mid April and would be in Dana Point during the week. I know they are both lovely properties. Which is better suited for kids though? The rooms seem like they are a tad smaller at the Ritz, closer to the beach though. Don't mind paying the money as long as I am blown away by everything! Can anyone help steer me in one direction or another? Thanks!

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

none of them are really geared for kids. both have rather boring pools. While the st regis is nicer, id say go with the ritz since the walk to beach is about 1 minute. the walk from the st regis is about 25 minutes, but im sure they must have a shuttle.

the ritz also just rennovated so it may be just as nice as the st regis.

Ventura
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

As I type this, I am currently staying at the St. Regis with my wife and our 9 year old daughter. There is a shuttle to the beach, and you would not want to walk it (down would be bad enough, but walking uphill to get back here would be really bad with a child!) The resort is beautiful, and there is a separate kids pool that is large but doesn't have a slide or anything like that. I don't think they have a video game room, but they do have a "Sandcastle Kid's Club" for ages 5-12 down by the pool. I'm not sure what that includes. This is not a Days Inn - there are no kids running up and down the hallways, and there isn't a McDonald's across the street. My daughter likes to play grown-up and be a little princess, and she thinks the place is great. We'll just have to see if she's bored after a couple of days! If you do stay here, I highly recommend the Laguna Lemonade at the bar - just be careful, they taste great and go down VERY easily!!

Rancho Cordova
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

If it is your budget I would go down the PCH and stay at the Montage in Laguna Beach, excellent beach access and you can request a room that has access to the grass and pool right outside your room. Quite lovely.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

While the Montage is the new king in town, its not any more/less kid friendly than the other hotels...although it does have more homey feeling to it.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

Thanks everyone for your input. I am now more thoroughly confused. Just curious what makes the Montage so much more expensive than what the Ritz and St. Regis are currently charging? Is it really worth it? Now we are considering the Montage. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ST REGIS or RITZ for Family Vacation

If I had the choice, Id go with the montage. The room was awesome. I love their decor. Its very craftsman so you dont feel like the place is full of snobbery and big bucks. Plus, the location is killer--although the ritz is nice as well.

you really cant go wrong. the hotels are all great. I would pick the montage, but if its gonna break the bank, its not worth it.

Get answers to your questions about Dana Point