We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

Hi everyone, thanks to the people on here I've just heard about the road closure of Highway 1.

Can I just sanity check with you please - in late May we are going from San Francisco to Pacific Grove to Cambria to Pismo Beach to Santa Barbara staying in all those places in already booked accomodation.

Am I correct in saying that the closures, for my itinerary, mean that I have to take Highway 68 after our stay in PG, coming off at River Road/Chualar River Road (rather than going as far as Salinas) and onto 101 until after Paso Robles, then going West on 46 before hanging a right on Highway 1 back up to Cambria. And when leaving Cambria I can head to Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara as originally planned. (And possibly, while staying in PG for 2 nights, taking a short drive down as far as we can (25 miles?) towards Big Sur before returning back).

Hope that makes sense to you!! Confirmation appreciated or any other ideas!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,819 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

if you go to the California forum and read the -- Big Sur closed what now top question , it has a map to help you

So yes you take 68 from PG and get on 101 and 46 West (not East) to Cambria.

So is there a reason to stay in Cambria and then again in Pismo Beach / Why They are pretty close to each other. I would stay in one of those places and perhaps I would choose Santa Barbara over Pismo Beach for the 2nd night if you must stay another night

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
1 review
2. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

Don't miss seeing Point Lobos while you're in Pacific Grove. And yes, when you are in Cambria, you can drive up to Ragged Point. Have a nice lunch there and then go back to Cambria. Don't miss the elephant seal rookery at Piedras Blancas, just north of Hearst Castle.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

Thanks Belomiser. Well, we are trying to chill on the way down, and if I am correct, Cambria to SB is about 130 miles so by staying in Pismo Beach that takes 50 miles off the journey and allows us to chill in another small town. Also, it shortens the journey from PG by just going to Cambria. It seemed to make sense anyway! We have a couple of nights in most of the stops including Santa Barbara too where we depart for Phoenix for a couple of nights and then to Chicago before heading back to Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

Thanks AustinTraveling for that advice!

Pacific Grove...
2 posts
5. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

That sounds about right. The Pacific Grove-to-Cambria part of your route is definitely interrupted by the road closure, so taking Hwy 68 inland at Pacific Grove is the right way to start. When to rejoin Highway 1 south, I can't say for sure.

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
1 review
6. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

You rejoin Hwy 1 when you take Highway 46 West to get to Cambria. StephenandAnn, make sure you exit Hwy 46 West toward Cambria/Hearst Castle. You will see the Hwy 46 East exit well before you reach your exit and you do not want to take that exit (toward Fresno/Bakersfield).

Since you are staying in both Cambria and Pismo, you have time to explore the area. Don't miss Morro Bay and downtown San Luis Obispo. Also, you can visit Montana de Oro State Park in Los Osos.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

Thanks everyone again.

using google maps, going north from Cambria toward Ragged Point, there appears to be "Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery" before you get to Hearst Castle, and "Elephant Seal Vista Point" after Hearst Castle. Which is the one I should be looking for? Thanks.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,062 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

The actual rookery is 4 miles north of Hearst Castle.

What you're seeing south of Hearst Castle is an office used to manage the seal area.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

Thanks Kibbles!

10. Re: SF, Pacific Grove, Cambria, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2018, 05:16