We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road closures

Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Road closures

We're heading to California on March 30 for 15 nights, had a plan and just noticed highway 1 closure so looking for some advice please. Our itinerary is currently: Santa Monica 3 nights, San Diego 3 nights (had been Hollywood hills but we swapped), Cambria 2 nights, Monterey 2 nights, Yosemite 2 nights and San Fran 3 nights.

So, would it be best to lose Cambria (although think it may be a long drive San Diego to Monterey) or stop somewhere else, or stay in Cambria but look at driving the alternative route? Thanks for your help.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Road closures

I recommend keeping Cambria. It's a beautiful place, and you can also see the southern portion of Big Sur from there up to Ragged Point, as well as Hearst Castle and the elephant seal rookery. San Diego to Monterey is a 7-8 hour drive without stops, or even longer depending on traffic. Not fun.

To reach Monterey from Cambria, drive 46 west (amazingly scenic, with hills overlooking a vast ocean view), then 101 north to 68 west. It's about 2.5 hours. Highway 101 has a beauty of its own. It follows the Salinas River valley with mountain ranges on both sides.

Edited: 05 March 2017, 17:29
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Road closures

Also, not sure about backtracking south to San Diego then north again. You'll be stuck in LA traffic both ways. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
3. Re: Road closures

I agree with Scott on LA-SD-LA. Drop San Diego and add a night in Santa Barbara, SF and Yosemite. With just 2 nights in Yosemite, that's just 1 full day. It deserves an additional day if you can get the lodging.

Norwich
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Road closures

Thanks so much for you advice. Will certainly follow your routes.

Edited: 06 March 2017, 10:52
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Road closures

Cool, glad to help.

I'll reiterate that the drive from LA to San Diego passes through some of the most densely populated parts of the US. There's heavy, often stop-and-go traffic pretty much all day from LA, through Orange County, and then into San Diego. I wouldn't want to do this twice on vacation.

Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
6. Re: Road closures

Hi Guys,

Can you suggest me : I had planned to drive from SF to LA via PCH all the way but now due to road closure, I have to rethink. I will be travelling on May 31 ..assuming roads will still be closed due to bridge construction in Big Sur.

Initial plan was :

1 - Drive from SF to Carmel (overnight stay), leaivn gSF by lunch time.

2 - Cover 17 mile drive

Day 2 :

1 - Drive from Carmel to Big Sur

2 - Lunch at Nepthene

3- All the way to Cambria, santa barbara and by night time to LA hotel checkin.

Can you suggest alternate plan now, I want to see Big Sur beauty, not fond of castle but mcway fall etc. was on my plan

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,758 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: Road closures

https://goo.gl/maps/4QAe5gNhB8L2 is the map if you want to see both sides of the Big Sur.

You cannot get to Nepenthe from the North or the South for now. The bridge that was damaged in North of Nepenthe/McWay falls. and you cannot go North of Ragged point for now

So I would go south to Big Sur Station and turn back and then get onto 101 and then cut across to Cambria

Edited: 15 March 2017, 19:41
Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
1 review
8. Re: Road closures

If you want to see Big Sur beauty, skip the 17 mile drive and go to Point Lobos, just south of Carmel. Then take the 101 south to Paso Robles where you can do some wine tasting if you like. Take Hwy 46 WEST (there is an earlier exit for Hwy 46 East) to Cambria. After that you can take Hwy 1 south.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: Road closures

>>If you want to see Big Sur beauty, skip the 17 mile drive and go to Point Lobos, just south of Carmel. <<

I agree 100% with this.

Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
10. Re: Road closures

Thanks so, I will skip 17 mile and enjoy

To enjoy Big sur beauty is it good to plan for these, considering road closure and time.

-point lobos park.

-Drive until bixy bridge and head back. Stay overnight maybe in cambria or moterary

Next day drive to Cambria via 101

- is it worth going to Ragged point or further as road allows.

My focus is enjoy Big sur and coastal drive for this trip.