We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late July Trip

Arizona
12 posts
Save Topic
Late July Trip

We are looking for a quaint little beach town for a family get together this summer, most likely end of July or possibly first week in August. Is this a good time to visit Cambria? Is it a family and kid friendly town? We'd love to stay on the beach in a house that can sleep all of us very comfortably (about 20!). If not a giant house, then cottages side by side, preferably on or very near the beach. Any information or recommendations are appreciated!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Late July Trip

Look a bit further south in Cayucos, for beachfront homes. How many bedrooms and bathrooms will you need? (I find it easier to determine that and go from there.). You also may need to be willing to reserve for an entire week.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,001 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late July Trip

Cambria isn't beachy. And it's more oriented toward couples looking for a romantic getaway. Not a lot of kid friendly stuff to keep them entertained.

There aren't a lot of beachfront rental homes on the Central Coast that can accommodate 20 people. And no guarantees that you could find 2 side by side to meet your needs.

You'll have better luck looking in the Southland (LA to San Diego)

Edited: 26 February 2017, 13:17
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late July Trip

Agree with Kibbles. I looked on VRBO and there seems to be no such thing as an ocean front house for 20 anywhere in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara county. The group needs to split up or look elsewhere.

Edited: 26 February 2017, 13:42
Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Late July Trip

Thanx all! I am taking all these recommendations down! We are open to any great little beach town and definitely want to have lots of beach time, so I will start looking into Cayucos.

Lemoncurls, we are going to have about 20 people, which consists of 9 adults and 11 kids. We are open to what type of lodging we end up in. The main thing is to be together and in a rental or B&B versus hotel.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late July Trip

OK, but I just said there's no such thing as a house for rent that will sleep 20 in Cayucos. I'm familiar with the area and there are very few houses of that size anyway, much less that are available to the public.

Cayucos is a tiny town so any hotels there are very small. There are no big corporate places, so any hotel there might have the small, intimate feeling you're looking for.

Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Late July Trip

I am like a blind bat at night in this area, Scott H! I honestly didn't check the county for Cayucos. Just trying to research a great little town to vacation in with my family. Do you know of anything up or down the coast that would have a great beach for kids to play on and adults to lounge on (like ALL DAY!)? A beach that has awesome rental properties (giant houses; B&B for 20 people; cottages side by side??). I do not know the area at all, so I am taking any and all recommendations and expert info about the area! Thanx!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late July Trip

As noted in post #2, we recommend that you look much further south in the LA or San Diego area. There's not a lot that would accommodate such a large party on the Central Coast.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,342 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late July Trip

Hi,

Most folks from Arizona have been to San Diego since it is the closest area at the ocean.

July is the most expensive month to rent at the beach so perhaps that is why you are looking farther north?? The town of Oceanside at the northern end of San Diego County will have the least expensive rentals at that time of year.

There is a condo complex there that many families use.

It is called North Coast Village. I have no personal experience with it.

California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Late July Trip

Sleeping 20 in one house? I can't think of many places like that along the entire coast. There aren't many on VRBO that sleep more than 6.

There are a couple of condo communities in Solana Beach that have a number of VRBO units. But each one is rented individually by the owner.

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Late July Trip

The beaches on the Central Coast are rarely warm with temperatures usually around 60 degrees. And the water is very cold.