We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backup plan needed?

Oostkamp
Level Contributor
329 posts
141 reviews
Backup plan needed?

Hi,

Booked a 2 nights stay in Cambria in July. Than a trip north via Big Sur to San Francisco.

With the recent developments woild it be a good idea to look already for a backup plan? It would surprise me if that bridge is repaired before summer or not?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Backup plan needed?

The bridge is beyond repair. It has to be replaced.

By July, you should be able to travel part way up through Big Sur, but you'll have to turn around at some point and return to Cambria and take Highway 46 over to Highway 101 to continue toward SF. If you only have the one night between LA and SF, you might not want to invest that much time.

Oostkamp
Level Contributor
329 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: Backup plan needed?

Damn...

That would be a huge detour. Will start rescheduling, what a pitty.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,298 posts
122 reviews
3. Re: Backup plan needed?

Where are you spending your next night, after you leave Cambria?

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
4. Re: Backup plan needed?

While it is disappointing, I'm not sure I would reschedule anything. You'll still have a nice time in cambria, and the longer drive up 101 is no more time than your original plan.

Oostkamp
Level Contributor
329 posts
141 reviews
5. Re: Backup plan needed?

Next stay is in San Francisco.

I know that other drive is quite similar, but off course we miss the experience of driving along side hgwy 1.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Backup plan needed?

"....I know that other drive is quite similar, but off course we miss the experience of driving along side hgwy 1.".....

No, it's not. The "other drive" up Highway 101 north of Cambria is all inland. No coastal views at all. You could, however, turn west via Highway 68 over to Monterey and drive the rest of the coastal route up to SF from there.

Seeing any part of the Big Sur coast will require some amount of backtracking.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
7. Re: Backup plan needed?

I would switch to 2 nights in Monterey. Very beautiful more to see.

California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
8. Re: Backup plan needed?

<<You'll still have a nice time in cambria, and the longer drive up 101 is no more time than your original plan.>>

The drive up 101 is a lot LESS time than Highway 1 through Big Sur. Big Sur can take the better part of a day. Highway 101 from Cambria to Monterey is about 2 hours.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Backup plan needed?

Either 2 nights in Cambria with a day trip north as far as you can go or 2 nights in Monterey with a day trip south as far as Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge would work. What's not possible is driving all the way through Big Sur on Hwy 1. Since all of the backtracking takes extra time, you may have to choose which side you want to see. Where are you staying before Cambria?

Oostkamp
Level Contributor
329 posts
141 reviews
10. Re: Backup plan needed?

Before Cambria we stay in Mariposa, Yosemite.

It would more logic I suppose to go directly to Monterey.

We only will have to skip Paso Robles wineries