We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Dinner

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
40 reviews
Special Dinner

My wife and I are driving up the coast to visit our son in San Francisco, and stopping in Cambria for the night. Which do you prefer--Madeline's or Robin's and why? I value food over ambience, but am looking for a special evening.

Thanks.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,896 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: Special Dinner

Can I say the Black Cat Bistro instead?

http://www.blackcatbistro.com/

After that flip a coin between Madeline's or Robin's. I choose one or the other based on what I want to eat that night. I love the lamb and rabbit at Madeline's and the curries at Robin's.

Black Cat Bistro has excellent rabbit and lamb too and I love the more intimate setting.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Special Dinner

I think the atmosphere at Madeline's is quieter and more romantic.

Robin's for us is more of an every day place.

Our friends who spend lots of time in Cambria love the Black Cat but we haven't gone there with them. I think they want to keep that as "their special spot".

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Special Dinner

I have a co-worker who loves Indigo Moon. You have so many more options in Cambria than Robin's and Madeline's. That being said, while it's been years since I last dined at Robin's, the food is prepared from fresh ingredients, including produce/herbs grown in their garden. And I like that their menu has an international flare.

Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
569 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Special Dinner

All of these restaurants mentioned are great options and post their dinner menus on their website...so really comes down to your tastes.

Level Contributor
39,508 posts
1,021 reviews
5. Re: Special Dinner

Robin's has excellent food quality! Request a table in the dining room by the fireplace. 🍷🌸🍷🌸

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
33 posts
257 reviews
6. Re: Special Dinner

All of the choices listed are great choices for Dinner. The one thing I would be aware of if you are planning on driving up the coast is that Hwy 1 is currently closed indefinitely due to mudslides and a bridge losing its support pillar.

You may have to take Hwy 46 to the 101 and then catch the 1 and drive up the coast through Santa Cruz and come up that way to San Francisco and bypass Big Sur in general

7. Re: Special Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2018, 05:17