We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seed bug infestation in Bishop?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Seed bug infestation in Bishop?

I'm wondering if the seed bugs that are infesting communities farther south on 395 are also in Bishop. I'll be staying there in early September. We usually camp but we're splurging and staying in motels for this trip. If we were camping at 9000 feet this probably wouldn't be an issue.

5 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Seed bug infestation in Bishop?

https://www.ksl.com/…

... in case anyone is wondering what you're talking about.

Edited: 26 August 2015, 19:54
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,706 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Seed bug infestation in Bishop?

I just checked with the Bishop chamber, and they said they did have an infestation a few weeks ago and the bugs were everywhere. They had been expecting another hatch, which turned out to be much lighter and not as troublesome, “just underfoot” according to the person I talked with.

Bishop is at a similar elevation as Lone Pine (but farther north, of course, moister and more heavily forested west of town in the mountains). Their temperature hit 100º yesterday with nighttime lows in the 50s. Not sure how much all of those are significant factors in the bugs’ life.

Another factor to be aware of is that wildfires on the west side of the Sierra may also impact your visit. The big one, the Rough fire in Sierra NF near Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP, is only 21% contained, with over 2000 personnel on the lines; the Walker Fire closer to Lee Vining is over 90% contained but that does not mean it’s fully controlled, so it could still affect air quality for awhile.

I think I would wait until you arrive and check locally, and pretty much hope for the best. The fellow at the Chamber said I was the second caller today about this - were you the first? If you want to check with them later, the # is 1-888-395-3952, as in Hwy 395 twice :^)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,457 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Seed bug infestation in Bishop?

It's an issue up and down the 395. I keep reading it will go away soon, but it hasn't yet.

1 post
4. Re: Seed bug infestation in Bishop?

Just spent a night at an RV Park in Lone Pine - spent an afternoon & evening in town and were not bothered by bugs AT ALL! There seems to be a lot of hype but in my opinion not worthy of changing plans - according to the people I talked to here, the big "hatch" happened more than a month ago.

Edited: 28 August 2015, 21:35
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Seed bug infestation in Bishop?

Thanks for the info, folks.

Reply to: Seed bug infestation in Bishop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bishop