We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night of camping in bishop

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
One night of camping in bishop

we are traveling from Vegas to mammoth lakes July 6. We want to spend that day exploring Death Valley, manzanar, and bishop. I don't think we can get to Devils postpile campground early enough if we want to spend the whole day checking out the eastern Sierra region (I know one day will not do it justice!). So I thought a quick overnight camping near bishop would be a good idea.

We are tent camping, looking for an easy access campground with potable water, preferably near a creek to play in....and is it possible to get a little elevation to have some cooler temps?

All suggestions appreciated, thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night of camping in bishop

Ever seen the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest?Depending on where you go there are small creeks further in.

Its off 168 out of Big Pine.

What are you driving?

More info here..

inyocountycamping.com/area_information.html

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night of camping in bishop

Four Jeffrey is the only place that can be reserved I think. It's the biggest for sure and has a creek and high enough to be cooler. Have been here many times and it's an easy drive from town in any vehicle. I think you would be more secured with a reservation anywhere in the summer. Drive a little further to the end of the road to Lake Sabrina and North Lake for great scenery. Those are great campgrounds too but are first come first served.

…usda.gov/recarea/…

Edited: 27 June 2015, 11:24
Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night of camping in bishop

We are driving a rental car, something like a Hyundai Santa Fe.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night of camping in bishop

Thanks. The first come first served thing comes up a lot...we want to camp at Devils postpile right after the night in bishop. Hoping we get a spot there by turning up in the morning!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night of camping in bishop

Thanks. The first come first served thing comes up a lot...we want to camp at Devils postpile right after the night in bishop. Hoping we get a spot there by turning up in the morning!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night of camping in bishop

Thanks for your suggestions ! Is there any camping off of 395 so it's more on the way to mammoth?

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night of camping in bishop

This is a very nice campground, with lots of trees (you will want the shade). Can't make reservations, but getting there early will help. It's just off the 395 in Big Pine, on the way to Mammoth: Gasoline, food, etcetera also available in Big Pine:

inyocountycamping.com/baker_creek_campground…

True, it is before you get to Bishop, but it's an easy drive back down the 395 if you don't want to drive up into Bishop Creek Canyon to find somewhere to camp.

Edited: 27 June 2015, 15:28
Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night of camping in bishop

Looks nice! But what is the elevation like? It's not my favorite to camp in 100° weather.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night of camping in bishop

It will be warm there, that's why I mentioned shade LOL.

Sounds like what you're looking for will be up Bishop Creek Canyon. Take a look at Four Jeffrey: recreation.gov/camping/… . There are only a couple of tent-only spaces available at the moment, though.

There are other campgrounds in the canyon. Here is a general map with information: https:/…stelprdb5196115.pdf

Edited: 27 June 2015, 22:26
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night of camping in bishop

From my understanding and all previous reservations, a tent camper can reserve a RV site just not the other way around. We camp in a tent and in our truck and have stayed at sites marked for RV there and other Reserve America campgrounds.

Reply to: One night of camping in bishop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bishop