We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bishop or Mammoth lakes

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
95 reviews
Bishop or Mammoth lakes

my partner and I are travelling from Yosemite and wish to stop at Death Valley but want to stop overnight to break the trip.

Which place would be best to stay ? Either Mammoth Lakes or Bishop ? We want somewhere cheap and cheerful to avoid hours of driving. The scenery in the area looks amazing !

Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,179 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

Either one is fine. Bishop is a town right on US Highway 395. Schat's Bakery in Bishop is worth stopping by. Mammoth Lakes is a ski resort area in the winter. A guide to the Mammoth Lakes area is at http://jrabold.net/mammoth/

The big question is, when is this trip? What month?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,977 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

They are both nice towns. Bishop is more of a “traditional” town, while Mammoth Lakes is very much a recreation destination community. They both have lots of choices for lodging, restaurants, shopping, and other services. As for cheerful, who could be in such a magnificent location and be grumpy? :)

Mammoth Lakes is the location of Devil’s Postpile National Monument, a volcanic and forest area with unusual columnar basalt formations. It is closed in winter. IIRC, Schat’s has a store in Mammoth. At the eastern edge of Bishop is the of the Laws Museum, a quaint “village” assembled from trains and old houses and a railroad station filled with exhibits.

www.nps.gov/depo

www.lawsmuseum.org

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

Thanks for information , appreciate it our trip is Getting more and more exciting have booked a Hotel in Bishop via Hotwire got a good deal cheers

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

Thanks for information , appreciate it our trip is Getting more and more exciting have booked a Hotel in Bishop via Hotwire got a good deal cheers

London, United...
1 post
5. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

I loved Bishop, we stopped off for the night on the way to Mammoth Lakes. It has a really friendly bar open late, in the morning we drove towards Mammoth and stopped off at a hidden hot springs (on reccomendation from some locals in BIshop) then head over to Mammoth to go up the mountain and take in the snowy views.

Corona, California...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

Hi,

I am planning to go with my husband and 2 girls to visit mammoth lakes, mono lake, bishop, probably sometime in july. We have 3 days 3 nights available.

I've never been there before. We drive from LA. What would you recommend I should go/see?

If anybody can recommend an inexpensive lodging, good value and location kids friendly, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

Mammoth Lakes will be cooler than Bishop because it has a much higher elevation.

Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,179 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

iloredana, take a look at this travelogue to get an idea of what there is to see in that region. travelswithbillandnancy.com/eastern_sierras.…

For guides to the Mammoth Lakes area specifically, see http://jrabold.net/mammoth/ and mammothmountain.com/MountainActivities/… and the reply #6 in this thread: tripadvisor.com/…41211665

Here are the approximate elevations in feet above/below sea level:

Los Angeles City Hall: +233

Disneyland: +157

San Diego City Hall: +72

Badwater, Death Valley: -282

Lone Pine: +3,727

Whitney Portal: +8,340

Summit of Mount Whitney: +14,505

Independence: +3,925

Big Pine: +3,985

Ancient Bristlecone Pines: approx. +10,000

Bishop: +4,147

Tom's Place: +7,074

Convict Lake: +7,850

Mammoth Lakes: +7,860

Devil's Postpile: +7,877

June Lake: +7,650

Mono Lake: +6,383

Lee Vining: +6,781

Bodie: +8,379

Bridgeport: +6,468

Tioga Pass: +9,943

Tuolumne Meadows: +8,619

Floor of Yosemite Valley: +4,000

Top of Yosemite Falls: +6,540

Glacier Point: +7,214

Summit of Half Dome: +8,836

Lake Tahoe: +6,225

San Francisco City Hall: +52

Golden Gate Bridge roadbed: +220

Sacramento City Hall: +25

Summit of Mount Shasta: +14,179

Approximate! Approximate!

Edited: 31 May 2012, 11:46
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,321 posts
6,456 reviews
9. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

iloredana

We have stayed at Gull Lake Lodge at June Lake Loop area - its convenient to many lakes and sites of the Eastern Sierras.

http://gulllakelodge.com/

Its an older motel with kitchens, living room and usually good rates.

In terms of the initial question, either Bishop or Mammoth Lakes works. If you plan to spend more time in the mountains, its helpful to sleep at Mammoth Lakes to help get over the altitude adjustment your body is making. But in general, each place has nice motels and restaurants for the night.

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Bishop or Mammoth lakes

Thanks for the information very kind of you and altitude isn't something we had given much thought about !!! My god those mountains are high never been that high up !!!

Get answers to your questions about Bishop