We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in bishop

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in bishop

We're in Bishop for a couple of nights in August. Can anyone recommend easy walks ( with small children) or other activities in town?

8 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in bishop

A couple things that I do every time I pass through Bishop....

1. Stop at Schat's Bakery.

2. Stop at Mahogany for jerkey.

Here are some website links.

http://www.smokedmeats.com/ for Mahogany

http://schatsbakery.com/ for Schat's

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,633 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in bishop

Rather than stay in Bishop, stay in Mammoth. Change this right away. You'll be bored to tears in Bishop, and Mammoth is beautiful and magical and wonderful and there's tons to do, and better accommodations by far.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,835 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in bishop

Why are you in Bishop for a "couple of nights"???

For us it is only an overnight stop on the road on the way to anywhere else!

Level Contributor
10,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in bishop

If you cant do any real hiking, I might also agree Mammoth would be a better place. Visit Mono Lake State Park Visitor Center and Bodie Historic State Park

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in bishop

The city park in downtown Bishop on the east side of the highway is beautiful, with a real stream running through it all year with ducks. There is a swimming pool with a small fee and a children's wading pool.

Millponds Recreation Area on the west side of town has fishing ponds a stream and 2 playgrounds, with views of the Sierra Nevada.

The Back Alley Bowl and Grill is arguably the best place to eat in Bishop. Don't be put off by the fact that it's inside a bowling alley - it is a full-service American food restaurant. They have a kids' menu too.

Schat's Bakkery is a must-stop for baked goods - just brace yourselff for the prices.

The kids might or might not be interested in the Laws Railroad Museum. They can climb in and around old railroad cars and a caboose and ring the bell on the locomotive.

If you have a whole day for Bishop, I would drive up Highway 168 west, up through Aspendell to either Lake Sabrina (pronounced "suh-BRYE-nuh") or North Lake or South Lake for some mountain scenery. The road to North Lake is a bit scary to me, but North Lake is the quietest and most serene of the 3. At Lake Sabrina you can rent motor boats, rowboats, pontoon boats or canoes. There is also a cafe there, homemade pie and ice cream. Or you can just walk around the area, which is filled with aspen trees.

Another possibility is to drive up to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, to see the world's oldest trees, and it will be considerably cooler up there - however I don't know how much small children will appreciate it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,832 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in bishop

Laws Railroad Museum.

San Diego
Level Contributor
359 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in bishop

"Move along. This isn't the (town) you're looking for."

--- Obi Wan Kenobi

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,082 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in bishop

My kids spend the night in Bishop on the way to Lake Tahoe to break up the drive every July. They enjoy spending time in the city park mentioned above, before having dinner. It's a great place to cool off in the heat of summer.

They always make a stop at Schat's Bakery, we've been going there for years.

Is there a reason you are staying two nights? One is the norm.

Reply to: Things to do in bishop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bishop
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor