We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free snow play areas at the side of the road?

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
free snow play areas at the side of the road?

On the other side of the 5 Fwy near Tejon pass, there are turnouts when it snows, anyone can pullover and play in the snow. Some have extensive parking areas where 40-50 cars can park parallel and you can see people playing along the hillside for free. There is no one trying to collect money for parking and you don't need a lift ticket. Along Angeles Crest Hwy there are lots of hillsides to go trashcan lidding, but not many places to park. I know of one turnout in Running Springs but it's always packed, near the 2nd left hairpin turn before Talbot Rd. going westbound. Anyone know of others? In this economy it would help out everyone who can't afford to buy a lift ticket.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: free snow play areas at the side of the road?

Now with the 330 highway closed, most people are taking the 38 to Big Bear from Redlands. About 20 minutes up the 38 from Redlands is Jenks Lake Road... I see lots of people stopping along there for snow play.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: free snow play areas at the side of the road?

I went to Mt High Tubing area on the north ski area. $20 /2hrs and $35 allday

kids 42" below $15. The "area" reminded me of lemmings off the cliff and the wait is 15-20min per "ride". We chose to try it out for 2hrs but we only got 4 rides in that day. Thank goodness because the kids got tired of waiting for each ride and they got fed up. We went back down the hill and had snow play along side the road, for FREE. Next time we will try Mt Baldy or BigBear and supply you with a review.

3. Re: free snow play areas at the side of the road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region