We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tire Chain Installation

LOS ANGELES
7 posts
Tire Chain Installation

We are heading up to Big Bear next week and I know that chains will probably be required.

I've never installed chains before but I have heard that sometimes there are people along hwy 333 that, for a fee, will install them for you. Anyone know if this is true?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,192 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Tire Chain Installation

Yes, there are generally installers hanging around the CHP chain checkpoint. They charge a fee which is in the range of $25 to $40.

With this in mind, don't worry about it. There does not seem to be any type of snowstorm coming through the area in the next week. You should still have chains with you though!

Dr. Z

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,099 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Tire Chain Installation

There are always people about to do it for you - but as Drill said, I think you're going to be fine next week. One never knows, once up there, when it will snow - but for sure there are people on the Big Bear end who will help you out if you should need them on the way back.

The first couple of times we did chains, we had someone else do it - and I probably would have them do it again. The cables, however, I can do myself.

LOS ANGELES
7 posts
3. Re: Tire Chain Installation

Thank You. That's what I thought. We are heading up on Friday afternoon but Will be coming back down on Tuesday and I thought I might need the chains then.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Tire Chain Installation

I am not familar with your area, but chain installers in California have to have a permit (costs them $200). You will notice them wearing yellow rain slickers usually with their permit number on their slicker, near the chain control point. They are not allowed to sell chains, so be sure you have your own that fit. The fee is set by CalTrans and should not vary from installer. Last year the set fee was $20 up here in Northern California.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Tire Chain Installation

There's a good chance of snow at Big Bear on the Saturday/Sunday after Christmas. Buy chains or cables at Pep Boys; if you never use them you can return them (but ask pre-purchase and make sure).

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,192 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Tire Chain Installation

I agree with kenish.....just checked the forecast and it seems a bit of snow & rain will be in the area this upcoming Sunday & Monday.

Just be prepared by having the proper set of chains and you'll be just fine.

Have fun.

ventura
1 post
7. Re: Tire Chain Installation

howd you do with your chain install? we're going to big bear in two days..did you find people to help you? let me know...

sue.belanger@yahoo.com

8. Re: Tire Chain Installation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region