We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear

Napa, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear

Hello,

I will be attending a conference at Northwoods Resort in two weeks and wondered what the road conditions are driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear are. I live in the SF Bay Area and wonder how the roads compare to Lake Tahoe, if it's similar. Is it four lanes? What is the elevation? It doesn't look like it's going to snow (knocking on wood). The other alternative is a shuttle but it makes me a little nervous riding in a shuttle on mountainous roads for an hour and a half. Most shuttles don't have seat belts.

Any destination experts out there that can give me some feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you so much

Napa, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear

The drive from Ontario to Big Bear Lake took about one hour and twenty minutes. From the airport, the drive begins on the freeway, and then turns into two lanes and is definitely curvy. I did opt to take the shuttle and it was fine, in the front seat. The people in back were somewhat car sick but our driver was very considerate and took the turns slow and carefully. We used the Big Bear Taxi Service and they were awesome. If I return, I would opt to rent a car (or drive down from the bay area) because on the way up and down the mountain, there were so many beautiful scenic places that I would have loved to stop for photographs. Big Bear is truly a gorgeous place and we had a wonderful time on the mountain!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,492 posts
6,400 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear

The drive up to Big Bear has a great view of the valley. To compare, think of it as the last stretch on highway 50 into Lake Tahoe. In general in November, the roads are not subject to rain or snow. If you do get a bad rain/snow day (highly unlikely) road conditions can be a factor. In general, I opt with you to drive. Its a fairly easy road most days of the year. The roads are more 2 lanes. Big Bear is at 6,775 feet ((i.e. similar to Lake Tahoe.). If you are used to driving in the Sierras (think highway 50 style), you will have no problems with the drive to Big Bear. Do check a map or mapquest for best route from the airport or ask at the rental area.

California
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear

Too bad, you are a bit early - no snow yet. If you get a chance later in the season try out Big Bear Ski Resort

tripcart.com/usa-regions/…Bear-Mountain.html

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear

Tahnks for the report!! I love Big Bear in any season.

5. Re: Driving from Ontario Airport to Big Bear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear Region