We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow chains for car

Moreno Valley
3 posts
Snow chains for car

Leaving for Big Bear tomorrow and it's suppose to start raining here (Moreno Valley) tomorrow and would like to know if there is somewhere in between here and there where I can rent chains for my 2007 Toyota Camry? Do I need 4 chains or 2? If 2, front or back tires?

2 replies to this topic
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Snow chains for car

Your car is a front wheel drive so you would only need two for the front.

You may want to consider buying/renting them today in Moreno Valley and practice them in a dry run as you WILL need them in the coming days.

have Fun !!

Dr. Z

Big Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2. Re: Snow chains for car

You can't typically rent snow chains. You can purchase them at WalMart in Moreno Valley or an auto parts stores. Make sure you get chains/cables that actually fit your tires. Drill-n-Fill is right in that you will only need 2 (1 set) for your drive wheels (front in your case). There are also places to purchase chain near the bottom of the mountain before driving up but they may be overpriced. If you come up the front way (highway 330/18), exit Highland and there's a gas station there with chains. If you come up the 38 there are signs along Lugonia before heading up. I have no idea what the prices at either of those places are though.

In the winter months chains are required to be in your car on all mountain roads, even if it isn't snowing - so keep that in mind. Also, if you end up not needing to use your chains, you should be able to return them. Again, this is as long as you don't use them. I know Wal-Mart should honor that policy but the places near the bottom of the hill often won't accept any returns for chains, even unused.

As always, when driving our mountain roads, especially in the snow, drive slowly and cautiously. Use turnouts to let other drivers pass when appropriate (beacuse not all of use need chains on our 4WD or AWD cars!). Our upcoming storm is expected to bring 1-2 feet over the course of Tuesday/Wednesday so I recommend hitting the road early if possible. Other items to toss in the car for winter mountain driving include a good shovel (in case you get stuck), blankets, water, food, etc. Oh - and your patience!! Travel safely and enjoy your time on the mountain!!

Reply to: Snow chains for car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Big Bear City