We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Own car or park and uber

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Own car or park and uber

I'll be staying a few days at the marina and wonder if it's better to drive or uber to downtown . I want to see the university, bookstores, etc. Is there a central parking garage or is parking the nightmare I remember in SF.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Own car or park and uber

Take Uber or a taxi, parking in downtown Berkeley is always a mess. I usually take BART but that doesn't run from the marina.

It used to be a little easier back in the 1990s. Then the old parking garage next to the library was torn down and replaced with that apartment building that recently had major problems with its balconies.

There is a city parking garage near Telegraph Avenue which is good for visiting that area and the university but is kind of far from downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
Telegraph Avenue
Telegraph Avenue
170 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,951 posts
6,217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Own car or park and uber

There is also a public bus that leaves frequently from the marina area to downtown Berkeley.

…berkeley.ca.us/Parks_Rec_Waterfront/Marina/…

From there you can walk and see Berkeley

Or if you want to go to San Francisco, take BART from the downtown Shattuck BART station

https://www.bart.gov/

There is a large parking garage in downtown Berkeley and if you are going in the summer, parking has been easier as UC Berkeley is not in full session; i.e fewer students, public school students on vacation, etc.

…berkeley.ca.us/Public_Works/Transportation/…

Edited: 23 June 2015, 03:22
Mentioned in this post
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,449 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Own car or park and uber

Agree if going in the summer parking isn't too bad. We usually park at the lot just west of Telegraph between Channing and Durant next to the dorms Unit 3.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Own car or park and uber

Thanks people very helpful!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Own car or park and uber

Will you have a car with you? If so, there's no need to hassle with Uber or Lyft.

The Doubletree operates a free shuttle to downtown. Ask the hotel for details.

AC Transit Route 51B operates frequently between the Marina, downtown, and the south of campus area. For your return trip, be sure to board buses bound for "Berkeley Marina" and not "Berkeley Amtrak" to get all the way back. Bus map and schedules here: www.actransit.org/maps/schedule_results.php…

Besides street parking, downtown has the Center Street and Oxford Garages, as well as the Berkeley Way Parking Lot. There is the Telegraph Channing Garage in the south of campus area, which even offers 1 hour of free parking (no validation necessary). More garage and parking lot info here: …berkeley.ca.us/Public_Works/Transportation/…

If none of the above options work for you, you can drive and park at North Berkeley BART Station. From there, downtown is one stop away. And if you need to get to campus, you can walk from the downtown BART station or catch the bus. AC Transit Route 52 picks up on the street in front of North Berkeley BART and goes downtown then loops around campus.

Mentioned in this post
Berkeley Marina
Berkeley Marina
240 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Own car or park and uber

super helpful thanks. Yea I have my own car...born and raised in LA and all that.

7. Re: Own car or park and uber

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2016, 01:18