We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking SF Bay Trail from Berkeley to Point Richmond

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Biking SF Bay Trail from Berkeley to Point Richmond

Hello,

Wondering how safe it is to bike the SF Bay Trail as a woman by myself from Berkeley to Point Richmond (both during the day and at night). Any thoughts or tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Sharon

California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,058 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Biking SF Bay Trail from Berkeley to Point Richmond

It's a great ride during the day. You'll see lots of people out on the trail, either biking or jogging alone or with others.

The trail is isolated at night. I prefer to bike with a buddy after dark along most of the trail in question. There have been no reports of crime that have been publicized in local media, but it's a matter of your comfort level in such a situation.

Keep in mind that the trail is not continuous past Golden Gate Fields in Albany, so you will have to go around. You used to be able to cut through the GGF parking lot, but they fenced it off recently.

If you are coming from the central part of Berkeley, I recommend taking the Ohlone Greenway to Marin Avenue in Albany and then taking the new street-side trail to the Bay Trail. You can see the routing on Google Maps. If you are coming from the Berkeley Marina, you will have to go around the freeway via the frontage road near Target or through University Village.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Biking SF Bay Trail from Berkeley to Point Richmond

This is very helpful---thank you so much!!

3. Re: Biking SF Bay Trail from Berkeley to Point Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2016, 00:15