We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

I'm bringing my 17 year old daughter out to visit UC-Berkeley next week. I bought the latest available tour tickets which is at 1:05PM. We'll finish up our campus tour around 11AM. I assume it would be better to take BART down to the Embarcadero station than to take a cab or get a car service. Is that correct? Also, it looks like if we are on a "red" line train, there is no transfer but "orange" line would require a transfer to "yellow". Is that correct?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

Yes, you are correct. Either train seems to be about the same length trip, as changes at MacArthur station are very efficient, just crossing a platform to catch a train which will be usually waiting for you.

By the way, we don't refer to the lines as the color on the map, but the trains are called by their ultimate end destination (like they do in London), and you would be catching a train from Berkeley called SF / Millbrae, or catching a Train called Fremont, and changing to an SF / Millbrae train at MacArthur.

When you get to Embarcadero Station in San Francisco (the first stop after the underwater tunnel), you'll need to get to Pier 33, which is quite a ways north on Embarcadero. You can change to a local trolley up on the street level - the F Wharves trolley (old-fashioned looking cars) which will be another $2.25 per passenger. You'll need all the time you can get for your trip, so mind the BART times. You can catch your breath in line for the Alcatraz trip - they make you wait quite a while before boarding.

Edited: 27 October 2014, 18:58
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,671 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

Your time may be quite tight. It takes time to walk from campus to the BART station, then you may have to wait for the right train. Maybe you can buy BART tickets ahead of time, rather than waiting till after your campus tour. Check www.bart.org for train schedule. You'll be leaving from downtown Berkeley station to the Embarcadero Station. if you catch the Millbrae train you don't need to change trains, and the trip takes about 20 min. But then as NorCalGal said, you still have to take a trolley to Pier 33 for Alcatraz.

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

Thanks for the info! Are cabs readily available when we arrive into the Embarcadero station and would it be easier and any quicker to grab a cab instead of taking the trolley to Pier 33? I know it will cost more but just trying to figure out what would be quickest. Thanks!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,902 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

>>Are cabs readily available when we arrive into the Embarcadero station<<

Not necessarily, but if you walk to the Hyatt Regency (follow the exits in the station to Drumm St.), their doorman can flag a cab for you. That's actually close to the F-line stop, unless you cross to the Ferry Building and pick up the F line there.

(The Embarcadero station, like all BART stations in the city, is underground, so you'll have to come up to street level to get either a taxi or the F line streetcar. There are different exits from the station to various points aboveground.)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

My experience has been that there is always a line of cabs along Drumm Street at the Hyatt Regency. (And the construction that was going on there is completed.)

6. Re: Berkeley to Alcatraz Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2015, 20:16