We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla

3 posts
Save Topic
VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla

Coordinating a spring vacation for 4-5 couples. Group is in their late 30's. Looking for a five star resort w/great food & good night life. Any opinions on VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla to meet our needs?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del...
10,227 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 replies to this topic
Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,960 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla

VIM is larger, better beach (depending on beach conditions), nice martini bar, live music. I like a lot of things about it. Very popular. LaPerla doesn't appeal to me because of its narrow beach, lack of water views (from what I have read.)

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla

Been to VIM three times, and I am 37 (went at 32, 34, 36). Place has everything from so quiet and serene (golden pool) you forget where you are to party central (far side of main pool) to in between.

Live music and dj in the plaza for dancing. And they play up tempo current and well known songs. My wife and other couples we met there had a blast dancing and singing along.

Food is good, beach is superior, and a short ride from and to airport (20 mins)

Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla

We have been to the VIM twice and La Perla once. Both are very nice. We stayed Royal Service at La Perla and didn’t upgrade to privilege at the VIM. IMO the food is better at La Perla, although the food is very good at the VIM. The beach is much better at the VIM. The main pool is better at the VIM also. It is large enough that you can be in the middle of the action or at the quiet end. Both ends have a swim up bar. VIM also has the “lazy river” pool that is usually pretty quiet. At the La Perla we went to the main pool twice in 8 days. It can get a bit rowdy in the afternoon, but we had the Royal Service pool we could retreat to if we wanted quiet. We spent most of our time there. I would say the service was just a little better at La Perla, but that could have been because we were in the Royal Service section. They would deliver food and drinks around the pool and they came by very often. La Perla has more of a modern feel. IMO VIM is a better bang for your buck, but La Perla is super nice. If you’re a beach person then go with the VIM as long as the sargassum clears up. Otherwise the beach won’t matter much.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Service at Paradisus Cancun
Royal Service at...
240 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla

I'm going to add a few other things that make VIM a better choice for us. VIM, true Adults only. At La Perla, the family side shares many facilities, like restaurants and bars. You will have children to deal with there. I've seen pictures of strollers in the BARS. VIM, NO TIME SHARE or Vacation club. With your regular room rate, room service is included at the VIM. There is a fee at La Perla unless you've upgraded to the Royal Service. VIM, no towel cards, La Perla, you use towel cards. VIM, dinner reservations are NOT required except for Hibachi, La Perla, required.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Service at...
240 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Wichita Falls, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla

I agree with Jeff on a couple of points. It's nice not having reservations at the VIM. We had Royal Service at La Perla and just had our butler make the reservations, but I don't like being hemmed into a certain time for dinner everyday when on vacation. At the VIM, you can go to any restaurant at whatever time fits you for dinner. And we did encounter some kids at the restaurants at La Perla, but never saw any at the bars. There are a few restaurants there that are adult only, but there were kids at all of the shows and roaming around the section of the resort where the restaurants are.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Service at...
240 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Reply to: VIM vs. Paradisus La Perla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Secreto