We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

chelmsford
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

I have had some helpful answers when I asked the same question before, but having no idea of the places in Mallorca, I am finding it very difficult to choose.

We love Italy, and often go to quiet peaceful places with character and medieval buildings like, Cefalu in Sicily and San Gimignano in Tuscany. I was told to look at the old town of Pollenca, but that is just adding to my confusion.

We don't like rowdy, noisy resorts but do like a good choice of restaurants and places to drink with a relaxing and friendly feel. Basically we're looking for somewhere picturesque, relaxing and with a lot of character. I had looked at the old part of Soller and also Fornalutx and Deija. I think maybe Deija would be too quiet, and I'm not altogether convinced that Soller is right. Can someone please give me a little more guidance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

What kind of a budget are you on. Are you looking for hotel accommodation or an apartment. How long are you planning on going for and at what time of the year. Will you have a car or will you rely on public transport.

If you give us these details, maybe we can give you some guidance.

In the meantime, there is a huge amount of information available on the internet

chelmsford
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

Thanks for your reply crazypom. I'm looking at travelling either in June or September for possibly one week. I have been looking at an apartment in Fornalutx which includes a car, but am happy to stay at a hotel either, in which case we would perhaps have to hire a car. Is public transport reliable in that area?

I've been told Deja, although pretty, is also very expensive and there's not so much to do.

Some of the 4 and 5 star hotels I've seen look very expensive, but I have only just started looking, so really needed some advice first.

I have been reading up on the Internet, but obviously like to get opinions from people who have actually been there.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

Settle on Pollensa unless you want to return to Italy.You won't need a car as there are bus services.The town is unspoiled-too quiet for some.No 4/5 * hotels in the town.I know Son Brull is expensive and more stars but it is not in the town.You would need a car there-and a fat wallet.

St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

I love Italy, but also love Pollenca. In the old town of Pollenca, many of the narrow streets are cobbled and are surrounded by 17th and 18th century architecture. There are 2 lovely squares. The main square is called Placa Major and has a grand 14th century Gothic church called the Church of Sant Jordi. The second one is at the foot of the Calvari steps.(You must climb them to see the view at the top...amazing) Both have abundant restaurants and bars to pass the time of day. Lots of little quaint shops too!

This is a nice hotel (see below), although central it does seem to be peaceful, read the great reviews on TA. Of course there are also lovely apartments to rent .

Plenty of places to visit from here....Alcudia Old Town, Soller Town is also nice, then a very short Bus/Car ride into Puerto Pollensa and Cala Sant Vincente if you wish to be by the sea.....stroll along the Pinewalk is a must! Enjoy!

http://www.hotelsonsantjordi.com/

chelmsford
Level Contributor
118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

Thank you so much for your very informative description of Pollenca. A friend has also recommended Pollenca and she too loves Italy!

I have looked at the hotel you suggested and it looks lovely. At the moment I seem to be torn between Pollenca and Fornalutx but your comments have helped me a lot, so thank you. I shall wait to see if I hear from anyone else, and then make my decision.

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

Fornalutx would suit you better iny opinion as you are less likely to come across quite as many tourists. More remote and less well known than Pollenca, Fornalutx is close to Soller, Sa Calobra, Lluc and other beautiful places though I think having a car is required to enjoy this part of the island. Make sure you take the train from Soller old town to Palma.

However, Pollenca old town is not without it's charms too. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will love Mallorca.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 08:25
Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

If you do choose Pollensa and it is a lovely town, I would suggest you visit Soller, Fornalutx and maybe Deia just to see the beautiful scenery on this side of the island. Fornalutx, once voted the prettiest village in Spain, is very small and peaceful with a handful of restaurants but nowhere really for an evening stroll. The scenery is amazing but you would definitely need a car. The same for Deia.

The town of Soller is very much smaller than Pollensa but both are genuine old towns with interesting architecture. Both have a port where you can stroll of an evening and plenty of restaurants. I would say Soller is quieter than Pollensa and Port de Soller is very much smaller than Port de Pollensa and visitors seem to be more international. Whenever I have been to Port de Pollensa the majority of voices seem to be British.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

I would agree with the above postings particularly as you intend to visit in June and September.

I would steer clear of Port de Pollensa and Port de Soller and stay in the old towns. Don't forget to visit Valldemossa and of course have a day in Palma (get in early).

Have a great trip.

St Helier, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

"Whenever I have been to Port de Pollensa the majority of voices seem to be British"

That is true of Puerto Pollenca although there are other nationalities and of course the Majorcian locals themselves!

Pollenca Old Town much less British I would say, (think the majority of British like to be by the sea) not that it would make any difference to me as I am so wrapped up in it's beauty and ambiance and feeling of well being that I always feel in Port and Town.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fornalutx, Deija or old part of Soller

If you want any photos of Soller and surrounding area send me a PM and I can e-mail you some.

Get answers to your questions about Soller