We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ngorongoro Crater

MA
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Ngorongoro Crater

We are planning on traveling to Tanzania in July. Most companies are providing itineraries that include a 1/2 day crater game drive. Is this enough time at the crater or should we be asking for a full day at the crater.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,521 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ngorongoro Crater

Most folks feel 6 hours is enough and so do the NCA authorities who charge per half day. I would guess this is why your TOs are suggesting it.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ngorongoro Crater

Jim

We stayed at the Wildlife Lodge on the Crater Rim in Sept. 2013. The view was fantastic. While here we did a late afternoon trip and a early morning trip. We both thought ( husband) that the 2 trips at different times offered quite different experiences. In the afternoon it was far hotter and most wildlife was in the trees or shade. We did see lions sunning themselves. The best part of the afternoon trip was seeing the Rhinos, two, which we didn't see on the morning safari.

I thought the two trips were worthwhile.

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge
679 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
California
Level Contributor
485 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ngorongoro Crater

Most people do a half day. I have been twice and both times it has been early in the morning. I cannot comment on the afternoon/evening experience but wanted to confirm that most people do the crater for a half day period so the itin your company is recommending is pretty standard and they aren't (by normal standards) skimping on you.

Bristol
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ngorongoro Crater

Yes we have visited the crater twice on 2 separate trips. On both occasions we did a half day (6 hour) game drive starting early in the morning. This was enough for us. We saw rhino and serval cat among many other sightings , both at around 7am.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ngorongoro Crater

I'm like Liz and prefer two trips in. Went in after lunch one day for the late afternoon lighting and then when the park opened the next morning. The animal behavior and lighting is quite different. The other reason I do it this way is the weather can be unpredictable. If the fog heavily comes in, you have to delay entrance. One couple on my last trip, couldn't wait until the fog lifted and had to move on so they stayed there, but saw nothing which was sad. I'm doing the late afternoon, early next morning on my next trip. The middle of the day can be warmer so less animals active (less active humans too) which is why the other times work well too.

Laurena

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ngorongoro Crater

6/hrs is usually more than sufficient for most.

Further to Brian's comments last week that the 6/hr rule wasn't in effect, the reply we got was that it still is.

However, being Africa... this can change from day to day depending on what the rangers decide regarding the actual number of vehicles who are currently in the crater or were the day before. So there is no guarantee that if guests stay a bit longer someone will toss them out.

Sadly whomever is in charge (is anyone ever???) they never put info effect a system where guide gets a receipt with in/out time that rangers could (if they're not too lazy) check to verify who might be extending their stays.

7. Re: Ngorongoro Crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:18