We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
208 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

My TO has booked us into Rhino Lodge the night before we visit the crater and the Sopa lodge afterwards despite me wanting to be in the Sopa to visit the crater. He thought it would be better to finish our safari on a high at the Sopa! We will be coming from Ndutu area as o/n at Ndutu Safari Lodge prior to Rhino Lodge.

Should I ask them to change the nights around or keep the same? Was wanting to get into crater fairly early.

Opinions appreciated, thanks.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

If you want to stay in the Sopa the night before I would ask for this, it's your safari!! Besides it makes far more sense to stay there the night before then its only a 5 minute drive to the crater gate. What is so special about ending up the Sopa AFTER having done your game drive!!! Sounds a very odd comment. The views of the sunset are great from the Sopa but you will see that if you stay there the night before. Stay at the Rhino Lodge the night after if you want (it gets reasonable reviews, cheaper that Sopa but further from the crater gate and no crater view) or carry on to your next location as you will be out of the crater soon after midday if only doing one 6 hour visit.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

I don't really see any point in spending a night in two different lodges, unless its a question of availability. Why pack up and move again? I try to avoid any one night stays on safari, or any trip, for that matter. I'd definitely stay two nights at the Sopa as it is super convenient for crater entry and the view is spectacular. The food is good too!

Or, if its a question of budget, then just stay two nights at Rhino Lodge. But splitting the two nights seems pointless.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

Yes I do agree that it makes no sense to do the 2 night in different places but assumed OP wanted to do this???? If not then i would as jczinn says and do 2 nights at the Sopa (though will put price up) or move on after visiting the crater.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 21:54
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

Unless there is an availability issue then I would stay at Sopa, Sopa is a further 20 minutes or so further on from the Rhino lodge so that shouldn't be an issue.

Rhino lodge is cheaper but has no view.......There is always the Wildlife lodge many say not as good as Sopa but it does have great views and is handy to the main roads. Also not as expensive as Sopa if budget is an issue.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

I would not do the 2 different accommodations. If you want the view, and are able to pay, stay in the Sopa before the crater visit, then after the visit, head on, even stay at someplace else in Karatu or beyond-you have time after the early morning crater visit.

The crater stay all depends on your desires and budget. Budget was important to me, so I stayed at Rhino Lodge, and didn't do activities like the balloon ride. I did many one night stands, and I stayed in Karatu, while some would never (we know Noexpert's view on that).I still had a spectacular trip. It is all a personal choice.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

Thanks everyone, I did specify that I wanted to be at Sopa for crater visit but TO did it this way, however, presume I can still amend things slightly as not travelling until January so will go back to them and try and change it. We head back to Arusha the day after the crater visit so presume we could stop somewhere on the way after crater.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

Well I assume you haven't paid anything yet as they haven't produced an itinerary you are happy with (and I wouldn't until you get an itinerary you want) so you can easily change itinerary. If they don't book the accomodation you want without an explanation you are happy with then they are not a very good TO.

Oxford, England
Level Contributor
430 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

Definitely try and stay the 2 nights at the Sopa Lodge. The views are wonderful, the rooms spacious and there is a luxurious restaurant and bar. There's a lovely swimming pool if a bit cold. Its only 5 minutes from the entrance down into the crater so you won't waste any time getting to or from the crater. Beware of the monkeys if you decide to have tea and biscuits outside!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

We stayed at Rhino, did a good crater tour, and returned to Arusha by late afternoon on the last day of our safari. You say "end on a high" - well, for us the "high" was the crater and I can't imagine an extra night at the lodge being more of a high. Like sciguy, budget was the determiner for us... but it seems like you could save a bunch by staying at the Sopa, watching the sunset, doing the crater the next morning early - and returning to Arusha and saving the cost of an additional day of safari.

If you didn't want to end the safari a day early - I'd still do it this way, adding the extra day at Ndutu or some other place in your itinerary. To me it seems a total waste to stay the last night on the rim, then pay for the driver and vehicle and a full safari day for a three hour drive, most of it on tarmac with so-so viewing...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,468 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rhino Lodge/Sopa Lodge

IAB has it. If you 'do ' the crater first thing, from Sopa, then when you leave after lunch head out of the NCA and save the overnight fee. good roads so why not Mto wa Mbu or Karatu?

And in case the message did not get through, you tell the TO where YOU wish to sleep. Not the other way around.