We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Topic
Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

With most logistics in safaris taken care of by TOs, one assumes that they make the best recommendations when they suggest itineraries and lodging options. I found this map that shows the layout of the area and thought it may help some people make better decision regarding the choice of accommodation in the crater area in their itineraries -

expertafrica.com/tanzania/…reference-map

This shows only some lodging options, but hopefully, the location of other camps and lodges can be extrapolated with a little more info.

(Discl.: I have no connection with any lodges or businesses in TZ, so if this map happens to show lodges of a certain company, I am not promoting them).

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

Thanks for that Ghumoon. I am sure most folks will find that help in understanding the layout of the Crater.

To clarify the other post please not the 'descent road' is way to the west. The ascent road is the central one that comes up close to the Wildlife Lodge.

also "Exploreans Lodge" is shown in the wrong place. It is NOT inside the NCA as the map indicates. It is outside to the south of the entrance gate. There are NO Lodges after the Leodare gate until you reach the rim.

I am surprised that "Expert Africa" could make such a simple mistake. Maybe they are not so "expert' after all?

Edited: 30 July 2013, 10:20
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

I also like the African Travel Resource website maps..even though they also have a few mistakes.

This "expert" africa map is a good start.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 11:31
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

the road that was closed last year due to construction (I don't remember which one, or if it was ascending or descending) - is it open now?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

Kathy, the ascent road coming up near Wildlife Lodge is still closed and expected to open by next summer (2014), per my guide who said it was being repaired. Currently, all ascent from the crater is via the 2-way "east" road by Sopa lodge. I was in the crater last week.

Lothians
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

Kathy- we were also in the crater last week and the road was still closed which our guide was unhappy with as it meant a long detour to get out of the crater.

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

thanks for everyone's input---essential in the planning stages......

7. Re: Ngorongoro Crater Area Road Map and Lodgings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:32