We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Situation in Venezuela

9 posts
Save Topic
Situation in Venezuela

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how the situation is in Venezuela at the moment? We obviously get all the bad points from the media about food shortages and riots and the like. Smart traveller hasn't changed at all. I am travelling to Caracas, Santa Elena and Lake Maracaibo in early september from Brazil side on a bus?

Any info would be great

Cheers

Jenna

Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
Caracas
Caracas
Capital Region, Venezuela
Maracaibo
Maracaibo
Zulian Region, Venezuela
La Isabela
€€€€, Contemporary
Maute Grill
€€€€, Steakhouse, Latin, Barbecue
Casa Pakea
€€€€, European, Spanish
Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Situation in Venezuela

Slojams, how much did it cost to you?

Los Angeles, CA USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Situation in Venezuela

The guide? Or the whole trip? The guide was pretty affordable; I bought transfers to and from the airport and a two-day private tour. I remember it being a few hundred dollars. Very reasonable for a private, custom tour!

My guide's info is on my blog. You'll love him!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Situation in Venezuela

I'm planning to spend July & August touring around to various countries in South America and had planned to visit Venezuela since it would be nice to add another country to my travel list. But after reading some posts here and in another comment section I think I will have to skip Venezuela. Why risk your life when you don't have to? It just takes one mistake or one bit of bad luck and not only would your day be ruined, not only would your vacation be ruined, but your entire life could be ruined. I'm tall and blonde and very Caucasian looking so I would stick out like a sore thumb and be a target for any would be robbers (unlike pelorrucho38 who looks very Venezuelan and would be ignored). I will hopefully come some day in the future once the corrupt leaders have been removed from power and the economy has stabilized (which may not be in my lifetime). Sad, because I really did want to visit Venezuela.

Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
Los Angeles, CA USA
Level Contributor
91 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Situation in Venezuela

Your decision to make. Nothing wrong with taking your time until things settle. Safe travels.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Situation in Venezuela

I'm a Canadian, tall & blond (now white) who has lived in Venezuela for almost 30 years. I live in Margarita Island and have a B&B (posada).

While I have to agree that Venezuela is not perfect many of the stories are highly exaggerated especially here in Margarita.

We travel freely around the Island, eat in restaurants, visit beaches, shop in the malls, etc. without any fear or nervousness.

We have many foreign guests who visit, spend extended holidays here and always leave us with 5 star reviews.

You have to be independent.

You have to be intelligent in how you act as you would in any foreign country.

But once you know the ropes it's a great, inexpensive place for a holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
Margarita Island
Margarita Island
Coastal Islands, Venezuela
26. Re: Situation in Venezuela

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2018, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Caracas