We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

I visited last year and was instructed never to leave the terminal until my driver arrived. And with good reason. It was reported that an Egyptian national was fatally shot on the afternoon of 19 March at Simón Bolívar International Airport (CCS). According to the authorities, the victim was killed by assailants on a motorcycle after resisting a robbery attempt near a terminal of the airport.

So stay in the airport at all times, avoid walking outside between terminals, and be extremely vigilent.

68 replies to this topic
Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

slowjams, you maybe correct. however, the only real hilton i knew of in caracas was acquired by the government and turned into a hotel venetur. perhaps there was yet another one.

Victoria, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

Hello pelorrucho38,

You have excellent travel advice! I am planning a trip to Catatumbo Camp on October 2, 2018 - October 9, 2018. Can I please ask you a few questions? I appreciate your time.

Thank you

Thea

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

Hi there, anything I can help you with just ask.

Victoria, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

Good morning pelorrucho38. Thank you for your message. I have a few questions:

I am Canadian, born and raised in Canada. Do Canadians have to get a Visa to travel to Venezuela?

I am flying to Caracas then heading to Catatumbo Camp for 3 nights. Have you ever been there? Is it safe for a woman to go to alone? I was told that a guide will meet me in the airport to take me to Catatumbo and back to the airport.

I would really like to bring the children coloring books, crayons, paper , pens, toys, clothes and toiletries. Is there a website that I can check what I can bring to Catatumbo Camp / Caracas and how much I can bring.

Thank you again for your time

Looking forward to your reply

Thea

Edited: 28 November 2017, 12:23
Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

"Do Canadians have to get a Visa to travel to Venezuela?"

No, you'll be allowed a stay of up to 90 days based on the entry stamp on your passport.

Each person is allowed up to US$1,000 in free entry of goods.

Just be sure to have receipts.

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

Hi Thea,

a) No, you dont need a visa, you can stay for 3 months without requesting an extension.

b) The catatumbo camp? I believe you refer to the place where theres a lightning show all night in Maracaibo lake. I was there, yes... I think it is safe, although is not as much fun for a person alone. We traveled from Merida on a 4x4 via jaji and la zulita and down to a small town on a river mouth. From this town you take a motorized canoe to a cement structure in the lake and wait until 3am when the lightning show starts.

c) We traveled in March 17 and all the shopping required was rum and beer, but i think is best to contact your travel/adventure agent and get some feedback from him. personally I believe bringing toys etc is too much complication for you. Bring dollars, exchange them for bolivares and then buy from a local store.

Hope this is of service to you, please let me know anything else you may want to know.

Good morning pelorrucho38. Thank you for your message. I have a few questions:

I am Canadian, born and raised in Canada. Do Canadians have to get a Visa to travel to Venezuela?

I am flying to Caracas then heading to Catatumbo Camp for 3 nights. Have you ever been there? Is it safe for a woman to go to alone? I was told that a guide will meet me in the airport to take me to Catatumbo and back to the airport.

I would really like to bring the children coloring books, crayons, paper , pens, toys, clothes and toiletries. Is there a website that I can check what I can bring to Catatumbo Camp / Caracas and how much I can bring.

Thank you again for your time

Looking forward to your reply

Thea

Lurgan, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

Follow my advice here for the airport and you'll be grand

https:/…25

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport

If you are heading to catatumbo then hopefully you are in cantact with Alan highton, and if not you should be. We visited in April 2017 And he is a very good guide and can organize and advise on anything for visiting the area/Venezuela

Reply to: Be extremely careful at Caracas CCS airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caracas