We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Hey all. Im a PhD student in London, and I was travelling to Venezuela in February. I booked with DAL BO HOSTEL for 5 nights in Caracas. The manager wrote me a very aggressive email cancelling my reservation based on my nationality!!. Im Colombian. (he argued several Colombians booked and didnt show up) Although we exchanged several emails, and I insisted I was travelling, he was always aggressive, and it was obvious he was uncomfortable with me just for the fact that im Colombian. In the end without any explanation he unilaterally decided to cancel my booking!! (I have all the emails to prove this). This xenophobic behaviour should not be expected from a hostel where so many people from all the world meet. Although most of the people travelling are European and American, I would encourage everyone not to sponsor the racist behaviour of this hostel. Please choose another option and let people know. I was very disturbed!

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
1. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Sorry to hear about this experience.

Why not make a complaint to INDEPABIS, the consumer protection agency in Venezuela? You can make the complaint online on their website (see below).

www.indepabis.gob.ve

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

You know as a posada owner I read this a few days ago when it was posted & even went so far as to look this place up on-line.

They have many excellent reviews & comments.

I had never heard of them before this post.

I then read this comment again this morning.

There has to be more to this story then Oscar P wants to tell us.

On their website the posada asks for a deposit.

Oscar says: "Im Colombian. (he argued several Colombians booked and didnt show up) Although we exchanged several emails, and I insisted I was travelling, he was always aggressive, and it was obvious he was uncomfortable with me just for the fact that im Colombian. "

I'm willing to bet that this had something to do with the problem. The posada owner, from experience with his fellow country men, insisted on a deposit & when Oscar didn't send one he cancelled the reservation.

I do this all the time for all nationalities after having waited throughout the night for non deposit guests to show up. It has nothing to do with "xenophobic behaviour" it has to do with people making promises & then not showing up.

Let's give the owner of DAL BO HOSTEL the benefit of the doubt here until more information is available.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
3. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Oscar P, do you have any follow up comments on what PlayaElAgua has said?

We have to be very cautious with regards to bad reviews on Tripadvisor as both sides of the story aren't always available.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 12:45
London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Sorry about the late reply on this. Of course ive got an answer for Playaelagua. I also read all the great comments about the hostel, thats what motivated me to book with them. And it also makes me feel worse, because when I read them now, it makes me feel like 'you Colombian have no right to enjoy this'.

Of course there is a booking fee which I payed fully by making a reservation through hostelworld.com like people from all over the world do. Even though I payed it, the owner decided to go through with the cancellation. I was planning to stay at a different hotel the first days, because Dal Bo was fully booked on the days of my arrival. The owner demanded me to show up at the hostel as soon as I arrived to the city (something im sure he doesnt ask to people from other countries) to pay for my full stay even when I was staying there five days later. Even when I was willing to do so, as it is clear from the email exchange we had, he proceed with the unilateral cancellation. Its not a matter of me not paying bookings!

This is a very simple case of 'profiling', he was just very uncomfortable with the fact that I was Colombian and he didnt want to have me there. You can read the hostility on the emails. Its a simple as this: he judge me based on his perception of other Colombians. And that is a racist behaviour. I remain in my position, I would invite people never to stay at this xenophobic hostel!

Juan Griego...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
5. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Hi Oscar.

I also use Hostelworld as a booking agent for my posada. The reason why I like them is that guests have to pay a 10% booking fee (which goes to Hostelworld) when they make the reservation. This tends to "lock" them into the reservation, unlike other online booking companies like Expedia and Venere which charge the commission to the property and not the guest, so there is no penalty if the guest does not arrive, something which happens occasionally.

So maybe the simple truth is that the guy doesn´t like Colombians. The Irish in London use to suffer fromthis kind of discrimination in guest houses, 40 years ago, so I can understand why you feel so indignant.

If I were you I would contact Hostelworld firstly to get a refund of your 10% booking fee and secondly to report this guy and ask that he be removed from their list, providing of course that you can substantiate your allegation with documentary email evidence.

And next time, come to Margarita. It´s much more chilled out than the big city.

Buenos Aires...
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Amigo creo q es una falsa tu opinion en mi estadia en el sitio (soy argentina) casualmente estuvieron 5 colombianos en el Hostel....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me extraña un comentario tan discriminado de vos. Porque cuando me hospede en este albergue estuvimos 5 colombianos, 1 ingles, 1 aleman y yo el dueño del Hostal fue muy amable con todos nos trato como si fuesemos de su familia, la verdad mi estadia alli fue maravillosa hasta el punto de todos convertir el Hostal en Boliche un viernes. El trato del dueño de Dal Bo Hostal hacia los colombianos y hacia mi persona cheee fue maravilloso muy amable atento, pendiente de cada detalle. De hecho en los comentarios que tiene en Hostelword hay muchos comentarios de Colombianos y todos positivos. En ningun momento de mi estadia observe ningun comportamiento xenofobico hacia los combianos ni hacia ningun huesped. Creo que eres el unico con un comentario tan malo de este albergue yo te digo que he escuchado los Colombianos usan mucho este tipo de reservaciones para usarlas en migraciones, aqui en Argentina conozco muchos dueños de Albergues que del 100% de colombianos que le reservan solo llega el 15%..quizas la actitud tuvo mas que ver con la mala fama que tienen los colombianos de no llegar a los albergues y usar estas reservas virtuales como medio para pasar migraciones de cada país.

Quizas la historia la estas distorsionando o estas omitiendo algun comentario importante, porque tu opinion no se parece nada a la que este hostal tiene en la pagina.........aqui les dejo el link.... …hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Dal-Bo-Ho…

De verdad mi experiencia en Dal Bo Hostal fue muy buena la atención es excelente y de hecho los comentarios de Hostelword hablan por si solos! los invito a revisarlos y a quedarse en este sitio y comprobar la gratitud de quedarse en este albergue. Lo recomiendo 100% la atención es muy buena, limpieza, la comida riquisima. En conclusión el mejor Hostal que como Argentina he podido ver.

Una sola opinion negativa no puede ir en contra de 53 positivas.

Saludos Mochileros... Nos vemos en nuestros viajes por el mundo

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Hey, I attest to the fact that Oscar P was not only a great guest, but one of my most courteous and most polite guests at Nelson's Place.

It seems that the "success" of the Dal Bo Hostel has gone to the owner's head. That happens sometimes...and they begin to get exquisite and "selective". The mistake is...that highly educated and well-traveled Bogotanos such as Oscar P are light years ahead of any full-of-himself under-educated hostel owner. That owner has to get out of Caracas for a day and visit Bogota, to see what current-day Colombians are like.

I hate to say this, but this "attitude" happens to many Venezuelans, especially the under-educated darker-skinned ones, that as soon as they have white European guests, other Latinamericans are simply not "good enough" for them.

I heard that the posada owner later offered Oscar P an apology and that he could stay for free, which Oscar P with dignity refused. I would have initially thought that Oscar P was exaggerating, but after having met him and seeing what a proper gentleman he is...no way. Dal Bo Hostel made a mistake.

Buenos Aires...
2 posts
8. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Pues verifiquen sus recomendaciones vos decis eso pero los que hemos visitado el albergue tenemos otra opinion. Para mi lo que dice OScar P es a liar una total mentira. Dal Bo Hostel es un extraordinario hostal. Lo certifico iria mil veces mas de ser necesario, el dueño es muy amable servicial te trata como a un hijo (a), es la primera vez en toda mi vida que veo tal trato de parte de un dueño. He ido varias veces de hecho recomendado a mis amigos mochileros y todos se van encantados, repito nuevamente de 53 opiniones positivas una sola esta fuera de lo normal, algo extraño no? si fuese asi creo coincidirian mas opiniones, solo uso mi lógica y mi experiencia.

SAludos

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

Hey...your name "catira" means blonde and you are from Argentina, so most surely you are ethnic european-white like most Argentinians. What Oscar P is talking about is that he got rejected for being a Colombian. Simply! He doesn't reject Argentinians.

I'm sure the complaint and this post taught the Dal Bo people a lesson in discrimination based on ethnicity or nation of origin. Anyway Catira, the fact that you wrote in Spanish excuses your braying. You didn't understand the original post!

Your comment will surely get deleted anyway because it's in the wrong forum (English, not Spanish).

By the way, the reason I defend Oscar P is because he ended up staying with me after having nowhere else to go, and he ended up being one of the best guests I've had.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 04:10
10. Re: Beware of racist and xenophobic hostel!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Caracas