We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

4 posts
How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Hello

I would like to go to Venezuela for a retreat in November.

I would fly to the CCS airport and would then be picked up by a friend of a friend.

I'm reading all of the things that the security is stealing from you when they check or scan your bags or they take you to a room where you have to bribe them and so on.

I'm a backpacker, travelling by myself, so the only valuable things I have is a tablet and a phone and little bit of money.

How safe is it there?

How bad is the situation there?

Cheers for any feedback

15 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Venezuela is fine in terms of safety, if you're careful. As I was driving into the city during my most recent visit, arriving from the airport, I was stopped at one of the routine roadblocks: the police took me aside (routine check), and asked for my ID (I have broken spanish). I gave it to them. They then searched my suitcase and handbag. I didn't bother hiding my USDs in my handbag; they were in a Wells Fargo envelope. They saw my Wells Fargo envelope with USD cash, opened it, saw $500, and said nothing. They then told me to have a nice day and off I went. Venezuela is not as unsafe as people let it out to be. Just like in any other country/city there are good and bad neighborhoods.

Same holds true for the airport. I had some envelopes of cash (USD) once in my pockets, clearly protruding. I showed it to them and they said nothing and off I went.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

nice feedback thks

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

After dozens of flights in and out of the Caracas airport over the years we have never had a problem.

4 posts
4. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Thanks for the feedback!!!

4 posts
5. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
6. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Would it be ok to hide money on you as long as it is under $10,000?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Of course. Lots of people use money belts.

We use to tell people to bring only large bills but having smaller ones is now a good idea because of the lack of Venezuelan cash.

At one tourist site here in Margarita the souvenirs were being charged US$1 each to tourists.

Remember that on Aug. 20 they are introducing new currency that will have 5 0s removed.

It will be called the Bolivar Soberano or BsS.

No one knows at this point, Aug. 20, if there will be sufficient cash to go around or how things like gasoline will be priced (now free) and paid for.

Many are predicting days of chaos from Aug. 21 forward (banks are closed both Aug. 17 and Aug. 20)

4 posts
8. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Will they scan the money belt?

I read that people bring us dollars and exchange them.

How about euros? Do they exchange that too?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

Not any scanning on arrival that I can remember.

They usually check your luggage on arrival.

The problem these days with changing money is the complete lack of cash.

So you end up having to discount it by around 300%.

No one knows what the situation will be after Aug. 21.

The president has said there will be lots of cash but no one really believes him. We'll see.

Euros are accepted but by fewer people.

The US$ here is king.

Best rates are achieved with transfers using things like PayPal and Western Union but you have to know someone with a Venezuelan bank account and who will lend you a debit card.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
200 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?

I'm coming back from more than three weeks in Venezuela. No scan. You can change euros but is better to have dollars(not everybody exchanges euros, but most of people).

Reply to: How safe is CCS, the Caracas airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caracas