We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

3 posts
Save Topic
How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hi,

I will be heading to Caracas from Scotland because it is a place I want to Visit as it is really bonnie! I have booked a flight for December and want to know if anyone could give any advice other than skelp me in the face and tell me not to go (Specially tourists that have been there recently) Thanks!!!!

38 replies to this topic
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hola Como esta hoy? I am Brian from UK I would love to visit Caracas and want to stay at the Pestana Hotel. Is it safe to visit if I have no contacts there.?

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

I visit Caracas two or three times a year on business and know the country well. Venezuela is a beautiful country with amazing people but right now to go there as a tourist is crazy.

Don't underestimate the dangers because they are very real.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

My boyfriend lives in La Guaira so I know first hand. It’s as bad as the media says. I question anyone’s motives that says otherwise. My boyfriend and 30 other people were robbed by 3 armed people on a bus yesterday. They took everything. Phones, suitcases, wallets, etc. They even took the shoes off my boyfriend’s feet.

My boyfriend was always saying it’s not that bad. He is singing a different tune today.

Venezuela is a beautiful country and most people are wonderful, but the situation is dire. Desperate people do desperate things. If you don’t have to go, wait until the situation improves. It’s not worth it.

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

I´m from Caracas and I recommend the tourist to come here with a contact or a friend, who can show you around and guide you to the secure kind of activities you want to go. But there are many very secure and VIP places that you could enjoy. In Caracas you could go to 5 stars restaurants in las Mercedes, la Castellana and Los Palos Grandes; You could see the National Orchestras playing the most magnificents tunes live; You could take a sunbath in Los Roques; meet the acient El Roraima and the wonderful Salto Ángel; You could meet the longest cableway in Latinoamérica on Mérida. Here we have alot to of places where you can find yourself or just enjoy the pleasure of your couple.

This is not a country to walk by. Its more secure to travel in a car, a hotel taxi or a private bus. We have many dangerous places in here, like La Guaira, which have many beautiful beaches, but very insecure ones. Thats not a place for a tourist to go alone. Thats the reason you need a guide for... he could tell you where to go and what to avoid.

With the economy how it is, with a little bit of money you could have the greatest time of your life in here. But as I told you before, come with a contact or a friend who could guide you and show you the secure and wonderful places in Venezuela.

If you need to know anything more, I´m at your order. Have a great night.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hi,

I am planning to go in Feb. From London.

I have a friend who organise short tour, he's an English teacher in Caracas. If you need any help send me a message I will hook you up.

Cheers

Sid

Edited: 13 December 2017, 01:22
confidential
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hello. Thanks for the post. I'm visiting my girlfriend there at the end of the month. Is it safe to go out at night? I've been reading horor stories about kidnappings and murder. Any info would be appreciated.

17. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2017, 16:16

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Leif,

Your girlfriend would have the best recommendations about what areas would be safe at night.

Enjoy your stay.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hi Donohe, I’m a Venezuelan living abroad but keep visiting Ccs every year. I would highly recommend to go with someone you trust and that knows very well the city. It’s a pity but I don’t recommend going alone. Specially if Spanish is not your mother language.

If you go to Margarita it is safer, and there is more a tourism culture. Just try to arrange guided tourist packages with predefined routes and you will enjoy some of the most beautiful beaches and views across the Caribbean.

Another excellent place to go is Los Roques. I would say that is a “must” if you go to Venezuela. Also, “La Gran Sabana” or the highest water fall in the world: “El Salto Angel”, almost one thousand meters.

Hope you enjoy your travel and be safe.

Felix.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?

Hi there!

Any updates on how your trip went? I've been wanting to go to Venezuela but have read and heard so many negative reports. Any insight on your experience would be appreciated.

Reply to: How dangerous is to go to Caracas for a tourist?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caracas